Exhibition of photographic prints
ENTRIES: Photographers may enter up to ten (10) prints, this includes any series/story lines. No more than seven prints may be entered in any one category. The entry fee (new this year) is $15 for up to 10 prints. There is no fee if the print is donated to the NSS. All entries must be delivered to Print Salon area on Saturday, July 12th between 9am-5pm, or on Sunday, July 13th between 9 am -12:00 pm at the NSS Convention Print Salon exhibition area. Other delivery arrangements may be considered, but ONLY with permission from the print salon chair.
ENTRY CRITERIA: All prints must be mounted, but not framed. They may be matted at the discretion of the entrant.
1. Print size: we have limited space so keep prints to no larger than 24 x 30” (including any matting). Email if you have questions.
2. All prints must be accompanied by:
a. Entry Form: click for online form. Use Adobe Acrobat or Reader, or comparable, to enable online fill-in.
b. Entry Fee: $15 for up to 10 submissions. Entry fee waived if print is to be donated to NSS.
c. Labels: Please use the Labels Form to create labels that will be displayed with your prints. Labels on the left side are Display Labels for convention-goers and include your name; those on the right are Judging Labels and your name is omitted. Use Adobe Acrobat or Reader, or comparable, to enable online fill-in.
1) Photography Category: Select Newcomer, Advanced, or Expert (If you are a professional photographer or have sold cave images for publication in any media, please use the Expert category.)
2) Print Title: If no title, please label as Image 1, Image 2, etc…
3) Entry Category: Enter Geology, Biology, or Human Dimensions.
4) Additional Information: Information related to “getting the shot” (i.e. formation is 2 inches tall, room is 1 acre in size, lighting info) that may assist in appropriately evaluating technical or other merits of the print; model/assistant Names, statement or quote that conveys context or sets a mood for the photo or events surrounding the photo, please do not include cave name or location.
Use the forms page as many times as required to create both labels for each entry. Unless you have Acrobat Pro, you cannot save the completed label sheet; rather, just print it out. If you have Avery #8164 labels, that will be great; otherwise, just print on plain white paper. Submit the labels along with your prints.
d. Pickup Information: Who will be picking up print(s) (individual(s)/grotto affiliation). If print is not picked up by Noon on Friday it will be donated to the NSS.
e. Digital image file of Photographer (for potential use at awards and for NSS News).
f. Digital file of images submitted (for potential use at awards and for NSS News).
g. Brief statement about Photographer (name, grotto affiliation, caving experience, etc.). |
3. Prints not accepted for show will be will be noted at time of submission.
1. Newcomer: first time entrant to NSS print salon. This category is to encourage photographers to submit prints to the salon. Some judging criteria may be more loosely applied.
2. Advanced: Photographers’ who have had prints selected for show in previous NSS print salon, but have not been awarded a ribbon or medal. If you have been accepted for show or ribboned at other NSS associated events you may enter in this category, regardless of new comer status.
3. Expert: Photographers who have ribbons and/or medal in a previous NSS print salon. Potential exists for submitted prints deemed not worthy of demonstrated level of proficiency to not be selected for ribbon and or medal. This is to encourage the continuation of showing the best of the best. If you are a professional photographer or have sold cave images for publication in any media, please use this category.
1. Geology: The primary focus is on geology of cave ranging from cavescape (overall cave passage, room, entrance) on down to close up of cave feature or formation.
2. Biology: primary focus is the non-human biota found in the entrance or deeper in the cave.
3. Human Dimension: primary focus of print is human activities (past or present) associated with the cave, cave entrance or appropriate cave/karst surface feature. This can include (but not limited to) such activities as: conservation, protection, restoration, science, rescue, documentation, education and archeology.
4. Altered Images: The images may fall into one of the above categories but have been altered for artistic purposes (colorizing/toning/collage/composites/removal or addition of objects/subjects).
Prints that will NOT be accepted for show:
1. Photos not related to caves or caving. For example: a photo of a formation in a mine might be considered related to caves from a mineralogical aspect, whereas a photo of a person standing in a mine, wearing caving gear, may be considered irrelevant to actual caving activities.
2. Photos depicting nudity that is deemed to be pornographic, or unnecessary to telling the photo’s “story”.
3. Photos depicting unsafe or unacceptable caving practices. Cultural/historical context will be taken into consideration, but only if noted at time of judging.
The above types of photos MAY be considered acceptable if they are part of a series of photos where the overall story is one of positive/appropriate cave behavior/interactions.
JUDGING: Judging will occur on Sunday, July 13th beginning at 3 pm. Entries received after noon will not be judged but may be shown. The criteria used by the judges is shown at the 'Criteria' button below. In addition to the standard Accepted, Honorable Mention (Green Ribbon), and Merit Award (Blue Ribbon) designations, a "Cavers' Choice Award" is being added this year.
RIGHTS AND CONDITIONS:
All photographers retain copyright and all moral and intellectual rights to their work. Credit and copyright notice will be included with all images displayed or published in any media. Digital copyright information will not be removed from any image. The NSS requests the following rights, which are optional. Indicate your agreement with any or all by marking the box(es) on the entry form.
The NSS may project these images during the award ceremony.
The NSS may publish winning images in periodicals for the purpose of showcasing contest winners, within one year of the contest.
The NSS may publish winning images in periodicals for the purposes of promoting future congresses and competitions, for not more than four years.
The NSS may use these images in low resolution on Web sites to announce the winners of this competition, for not more than four years. These images will not exceed 600 pixels in width or height.
SALES AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For questions concerning entries or sales of prints, please e-mail Patricia Seiser at email@example.com call 575-361-2283. If you have trouble meeting the deadline, please contact her before August 1st, 2013.
Patricia Seiser (aka Cave Wench)
|Site visits since April 9, 2007: 9440|