Welcome to the Web Site for the Central New Jersey Grotto
The Central New Jersey Grotto (CNJG) is a non-profit organization founded in 1978 for the purpose of advancing the study, conservation, exploration and knowledge of caves. We are a local chapter of the National Speleological Society (NSS).
The primary activities of our members are to explore wild caves in New Jersey and surrounding states. Members also perform many outreach services to our neighbors, including conservation and education projects. We also hold regular monthly meetings which help us plan new projects and discuss new techniques.
Where to Get Started
If you're interested in caving with the CNJG, we urge you join us at one of our monthly meetings. They are held at various members' homes in the area.
To get info on the next grotto meeting, check out the Monthly Meeting Notice (link takes you to Dropbox). Here you will find a schedule of upcoming events and special announcements. Firefox users having trouble with garbled text may want to read This.
Check out the website for The National Speleological Society (www.caves.org) if you're trying to find a good general resource for caves and caving.
If you want to directly contact us with a question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to become a member of the CNJG, here is the Central New Jersey Grotto Membership Application.
Benefits of membership include the following items:
- Access to our email discussion group, which is our main source for early trip planning and other information.
- Participation in grotto trips. While we welcome prospective members on our trips, we do expect you to join the Grotto after a couple of outings.
- Access to the Central New Jersey Caver, our periodic publication containing trip reports and other articles written by our members. Click here for an example: Central Jersey Caver-February 2005.
- Access to some limited equipment for grotto trips. We maintain a group of helmets and lamps for our beginner cavers, along with some other limited equipment for grotto outings (a tarp and a couple of cable ladders).
Please note that although it is not required for grotto membership, we strongly encourage our members to also join the NSS.
Only For Members
Here is a link to our Members Only Area (Password Protected).
Other Resources and Links
Check out our Photo Album that we have on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/cnjg-pix/sets.
Want to learn more details about the CNJG? Here is our Charter.
We're very proud of Paul Steward, a Grotto member who has become a successful author. Check out his latest book here Paul's Latest Book.
Here are some things that we recently prepared with (very) basic info about caves and caving:
- Some basic info about caves and caving that we prepared for a recent table top display
- Nearby commercial caves to take the family
- Reading suggestions, mostly aimed toward kids
- Recommended equipment for when beginners join us caving
Some other caver links you may want to check out while you're here: