|Some recent pics are on our Facebook group. Click on the 'f'.|
|Others are listed here: Event Photos|
!! Monthly meetings are on the 3rd Thursday. !!
To prevent web robots from harvesting contact info, some of the below links may prompt for a name and password. If so, enter name: calend & pswd: gocave.
Ongoing Projects are listed: HERE -- (former area-wide calendar site.)
July 31: Deadline for your submitted paperwork to join the Robertson Association (TRA), so you can attend OTR as a real person, rather than lowly "guest". See below, and www.otr.org for the required forms.
Aug 18 (Thu): Doug Duncan's annual kids caving trip, this year to Whitings Neck. Yes, it is a weekday. Kids of all ages are welcome, but this is probably not as 3-yr-old friendly as Donaldson was last year. Novice adults are also welcome. Trip should end in time for the meeting in Bethesda. Details to follow.
Aug 18 (Thu): Informal meeting at: The Rock Bottom Brewery/Restaurant in Bethesda (at 7900 Norfolk Av., corner of St.Elmo Av.), less than 3 blocks from our previous HTC venue. See: details & directions. Arrive around 6:15p to allow time to order, eat, and socialize, before the main focus of the 7:30p meeting.
Sept 1 - 5: O.T.R. - 67th annual Old Timers Reunion. Theme for 2016 is: "Animal House". See the blurb: OTR 2016 Info. [PDF] This is for TRA members and their guests only. If you want to avoid guest fees, etc., then get your application forms in well before July 31. Further info on TRA membership (with forms) is at the "Become a Member" page. (And read the instructions carefully...)
Sept 15 (Thu), 7:30p: General meeting: Chevy Chase Community Ctr. in DC.
See: details and directions. At 6:00p or 6:15p, there will be an optional pre-meeting dinner, at very nearby American City Diner, which (from the Community Ctr.) is on the opposite side of CT Av. & a full-block south, at #5532. Program: T.B.A. After the meeting & program, we'll adjourn to the Chevy Chase Lounge (1-1/2 blocks south of the CCCC at 5510 CT-Av.), to continue the socializing!
Sept 23 - 25: Fall MAR at Woodward Cave & Campground, Woodward, PA (Centre County). Hosted By: Bald Eagle Grotto . . . their 30th Anniv.
Sep-30 - Oct-2: Fall VAR at Poorfarm in Greenbrier Co., WV. Hosted by Greenbrier Valley Grotto. More info coming soon.
- Feb 27, 2016 Whitings Neck trip [Fb], by David Marcenaro DeBernardis
- Aug 16, 2014 Culverson Creek trip, by Eric Berge
- Jan 25, 2014 Donaldson Cave trip [Fb], by Keely Owens (on Facebook)
- Jan 11, 2014 Jones Quarry Cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Dec, 2013 Video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- Nov 30, 2013 "P"-Caves Trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 2, 2013 PSC wkend, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 28, 2013 Eric Porters cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 27, 2013 Sinnett-Thorn Mtn., posted by Eric Berge
- July 30-31, 2011 Paxton & Porter Caves, by Doug Lake
- June 10-12, 2011 SERA Pictures and Trip Report, by Adam Lake
- May 15, 2011 Whiting's Neck group photo, by Keely Owens
- Apr 30, 2011 Poor Farm Cave (VAR weekend) by Doug Lake
- Mar 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by John Armstrong
- Feb 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by Doug Lake
- Dec 4, 2010 DC Grotto Banquet by Brian Freyling
- Nov 7, 2010 Great Falls vertical practice by Brian Freyling
- Jul 24, 2010 North Fork Mountain vertical trip by John Armstrong
Bat Die-off CrisisSomething is causing the death of huge numbers of bats, seemingly associated with White Nose Syndrome, starting in the Northeast, and having spread into PA, WV, and VA. With the possibility of human cave visitation assisting this spread, precautions include cave closures (check the VAR Closed Cave List prior to any trip), and de-contamination of all cave gear before and after visiting any open cave. For lots more information, visit any of these links:
- Bob Hoke's: Primary Sources Time-line
- NSS: WNS-Liaison | NSS Policy: 2010 | 2009 (PDF)
- Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- WhiteNoseSyndrome.org -
North America's response to the devastating bat disease, with
(as of June 25, 2012) decontamination procedures:
- USGS: Bat-opsy Ctr. | Ft.Collins Sci.Ctr. (good overview)
- WV-DNR: 2/23/09 WNS Confirmation
- VA-DCR: Karst & Bats | VA Cave Board | VA-DGIF
- IN-DNR: Bat Disease | Closing IN Caves (5/1/09 News Release)
- Bat Conservation & Management, Inc.: WNS-Page
- Northeast Cave Conservancy: Main-Page
Trout Rock Bat CountsClick here to see the results of the annual bat counts in Trout, Hamilton, and New Trout caves in Pendleton County, W.V.