|Some recent pics are on our Facebook group. Click on the 'f'.|
|Others are listed here: Event Photos|
|Latest USFS results on "Decon" testing of vertical equipment is Here.|
Monthly meetings are on the 3rd Thursday. Ongoing Regional Projects are: HERE.
To prevent web robots from harvesting contact info, some of the below links may prompt for a name and password. If so, enter name: calend & pswd: gocave.
May 26 - 29: Kentucky Speleofest
June 2 - 4: Joint MAR/NRO get-together at Indian Lookout County Club, Cobleskill, NY (Schoharie County). Hosted by Philadelphia Grotto & Central Connecticut Grotto. (Also, It's Philadelphia Grotto's 70th Anniversary). Further details may appear: Here.
June 15 (3rd Thu): Informal meeting at: The Rock Bottom Brewery/Restaurant in Bethesda (at 7900 Norfolk Av., corner of St.Elmo Av). See: details & directions. Arrive around 6:15p to allow time to order, eat, and socialize, before the main focus of the 7:30p meeting.
July 7 - 9: The WVACS Classic for 2017. See the Blurb for details.
July 20 (3rd Thu), 7:30p: General meeting: Chevy Chase Community Ctr. in DC. See: directions. Program: T.B.A. Early-Birds will meet at 6:00p or 6:15p, for pre-meeting dining at very nearby American City Diner, which (from the Community Ctr.) is on the opposite side of CT Av. & a full-block south, at #5532. Post-meeting, we may adjourn to the Chevy Chase Lounge (1-1/2 blocks south of the CCCC at 5510 CT-Av.), to continue the socializing!
July 24 (4th Mon), 7:30p: PSC meeting, in 1st fl. "Glass room" at Arlington Co. main Library (1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington, Va). See PSC Website.
Aug 31 - Sept 4: O.T.R. - 68th annual Old Timers Reunion.
Theme for 2017 is: "Xmas". Until the OTR website is restored, info & news is available at: OTR-Facebook-Group. Event is for TRA members and their guests only. If you want to avoid guest fees, etc., then get your application forms in well before July 31.
Sep 22 - 24: Fall VAR at Mountain Institute on Spruce Knob (Pendleton Co., WV) Hosted by Pine Mountain Grotto.
Nov 3 - 5: PSC Fall Party, at the PSC Fieldhouse near Upper Tract, WV. More information to come later.
- Mar 11, 2017 Three Sisters Cave trip [Fb], by Greg Jones
- Feb 4, 2017 Crossroads Cave trip [Fb], by 2 Daves
- Feb 27, 2016 Whitings Neck trip [Fb], by David Marcenaro DeBernardis
- Aug 16, 2014 Culverson Creek trip, by Eric Berge
- Jan 25, 2014 Donaldson Cave trip [Fb], by Keely Owens (on Facebook)
- Jan 11, 2014 Jones Quarry Cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Dec, 2013 Video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- Nov 30, 2013 "P"-Caves Trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 2, 2013 PSC wkend, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 28, 2013 Eric Porters cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 27, 2013 Sinnett-Thorn Mtn., posted by Eric Berge
- July 30-31, 2011 Paxton & Porter Caves, by Doug Lake
- June 10-12, 2011 SERA Pictures and Trip Report, by Adam Lake
- May 15, 2011 Whiting's Neck group photo, by Keely Owens
- Apr 30, 2011 Poor Farm Cave (VAR weekend) by Doug Lake
- Mar 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by John Armstrong
- Feb 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by Doug Lake
- Dec 4, 2010 DC Grotto Banquet by Brian Freyling
- Nov 7, 2010 Great Falls vertical practice by Brian Freyling
- Jul 24, 2010 North Fork Mountain vertical trip by John Armstrong
Bat Die-off CrisisSomething is causing the death of huge numbers of bats, seemingly associated with White Nose Syndrome, starting in the Northeast, and having spread into PA, WV, and VA. With the possibility of human cave visitation assisting this spread, precautions include cave closures (check the VAR Closed Cave List prior to any trip), and de-contamination of all cave gear before and after visiting any open cave. For lots more information, visit any of these links:
- Bob Hoke's: Primary Sources Time-line
- NSS: WNS-Liaison | NSS Policy: 2010 | 2009 (PDF)
- Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- WhiteNoseSyndrome.org -
North America's response to the devastating bat disease, with
(as of June 25, 2012) decontamination procedures:
- USGS: Bat-opsy Ctr. | Ft.Collins Sci.Ctr. (good overview)
- WV-DNR: 2/23/09 WNS Confirmation
- VA-DCR: Karst & Bats | VA Cave Board | VA-DGIF
- IN-DNR: Bat Disease | Closing IN Caves (5/1/09 News Release)
- Bat Conservation & Management, Inc.: WNS-Page
- Northeast Cave Conservancy: Main-Page
Trout Rock Bat CountsClick here to see the results of the annual bat counts in Trout, Hamilton, and New Trout caves in Pendleton County, W.V.