|2014:||75-years of DC-area organized caving.|
|Monthly meetings continue to be on the 2nd Thursday.|
Others are listed here: Event Photos
Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
Mar 15, 2014: NSS BOG voted to add the New River Cave Preserve
To prevent web robots from harvesting contact info, some of the below links may prompt for a username and password. If so, enter username: calend & password: gocave.
Area-wide Calendar -- lists scheduled caving activities (meetings, trips, and other events) in the DC and Baltimore area. Some events may also have a PDF flyer.
Some Upcoming Highlights:
Sep 11 (Thu), 7:30p: General meeting: Chevy Chase Community Ctr. in DC.
See: details and directions. At 6:00 or 6:15p, there will be an optional pre-meeting dinner, at Pete's New Haven Style Pizza, 4940 Wisc. Av. NW (corner of Fessenden St. [about 1-mile from CCCC]). Program: Caving Bins -- bring your caving gear container(s) and win prizes! See Promo and/or Flyer. [PDF]
Oct 9 (Thu): Informal meeting at Hard Times Cafe in Bethesda, MD. Arrive around 6:15p to allow time to order, eat, and socialize, before the main focus of the 7:30p meeting. See: details & directions.
Oct 10 - 12:
Fall VAR at Rich Mountain Battlefield, west of Beverly (Randolph Co.), WV;
hosted by the Monongahela Grotto (celebrating their 50th anniversary).
See the Announcement, PDF-Poster, and/or VAR page.
Oct 10 - 12: Fall MAR field Meet, at Rupert Cave Preserve, McVeytown, PA (Mifflin County). Links to details and registration are HERE.
July, 2016: NSS 2016 Convention in Ely, NV. ( NSS 75th Anniversary )
- Aug 16, 2014 Culverson Creek trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Jan 25, 2014 Donaldson Cave trip [Fb], posted by Keely Owens (on Facebook)
- Jan 11, 2014 Jones Quarry Cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 30, 2013 "P"-Caves Trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Nov 2, 2013 PSC wkend, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 28, 2013 Eric Porters cave trip, posted by Eric Berge
- Sept 27, 2013 Sinnett-Thorn Mtn., posted by Eric Berge
- July 30-31, 2011 Paxton & Porter Caves, by Doug Lake
- June 10-12, 2011 SERA Pictures and Trip Report, by Adam Lake
- May 15, 2011 Whiting's Neck group photo, by Keely Owens
- Apr 30, 2011 Poor Farm Cave (VAR weekend) by Doug Lake
- Mar 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by John Armstrong
- Feb 12, 2011 Paxton's Cave by Doug Lake
- Dec 4, 2010 DC Grotto Banquet by Brian Freyling
- Nov 7, 2010 Great Falls vertical practice by Brian Freyling
- Jul 24, 2010 North Fork Mountain vertical trip by John Armstrong
Bat Die-off CrisisSomething is causing the death of huge numbers of bats, seemingly associated with White Nose Syndrome, starting in the Northeast, and having spread into PA, WV, and VA. With the possibility of human cave visitation assisting this spread, precautions include cave closures (check the VAR Closed Cave List prior to any trip), and de-contamination of all cave gear before and after visiting any open cave. For lots more information, visit any of these links:
- Bob Hoke's: Primary Sources Time-line
- NSS: WNS-Liaison | NSS Policy: 2010 | 2009 (PDF)
- Recent (Dec.2013) video: Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose
- WhiteNoseSyndrome.org -
North America's response to the devastating bat disease, with
(as of June 25, 2012) decontamination procedures:
- USGS: Bat-opsy Ctr. | Ft.Collins Sci.Ctr. (good overview)
- WV-DNR: 2/23/09 WNS Confirmation
- VA-DCR: Karst & Bats | VA Cave Board | VA-DGIF
- IN-DNR: Bat Disease | Closing IN Caves (5/1/09 News Release)
- Bat Conservation & Management, Inc.: WNS-Page
- Northeast Cave Conservancy: Main-Page
Trout Rock Bat CountsClick here to see the results of the annual bat counts in Trout, Hamilton, and New Trout caves in Pendleton County, W.V.