Take nothing but pictures,
Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but time
As an Internal Organization of the National Speleological Society
As amended in 1993
I. The name of the organization shall be the Kansas Speleological Society of the National Speleological Society.
II. *The purpose of this organization shall be the same as that of the NSS, with the purpose of organizing NSS members and interested parties, in the Kansas and Midwestern area, to better promote the objectives of the NSS.
III. The Kansas Speleological Society is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any federal tax code.
IV. No part of the net earnings of the Kansas Speleological Society shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the Kansas Speleological Society shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Amendment III. hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the Kansas Speleological Society shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, except that the Kansas Speleological Society shall be authorized and empowered to promote the objectives of the National Speleological Society as outlined in the constitution of the Kansas Speleological Society under section II and for the purposes of study, exploration and conservation of natural resources within the state of Kansas and issues of concern to the National Speleological Society, and the Kansas Speleological Society shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Kansas Speleological Society shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or (b) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code. Should these aforementioned limitations be invalid or not applicable in the state of Kansas or for the purpose of gaining tax-exempt status for the Kansas Speleological Society the following statement may replace the preceding sentence: Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Kansas Speleological Society shall not, except to an insubstantial degree, engage in any activities or exercise any powers that are not in furtherance of the purposes of the Kansas Speleological Society as an internal organization of the National Speleological Society.
V. Upon dissolution of the Kansas Speleological Society, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by the Court of Common Pleas of the county in which the principle office of the Kansas Speleological Society is then located, exclusively, for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said Court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes. (See Sections XI through XIII inclusive of the constitution of the Kansas Speleological Society).
VI. *Full membership shall be limited to members of the NSS, as is a specific requirement of the NSS policy on Internal Organizations. Historically, the founders of the NSS felt that it was crucial to the effectiveness of pursuing NSS goals to have the members of Internal Organizations demonstrate their support of the NSS by becoming members.
2. Dues shall be made payable no later than February 1 of each year to retain membership.
3. Provision is herein made to allow the formation of committees and other classes of membership within the KSS as the needs may arise. These shall be written as amendments to this constitution by the executive committee.
4. Any full member may make an appeal, or request, additions or amendments to this constitution by the executive committee.
VII. There shall be four business meetings of the Kansas Speleological Society per year.
VIII. *The KSS shall be governed by an executive committee made up of the following officers, who must be NSS/Full members, elected annually by the membership:
1. A Chairman.2. A Vice-Chairman. 3. A Treasurer.
4. An Editor.5. A Librarian.
6. A Secretary.
7. A Safety and Techniques and National Cave Rescue Commission officer for the Kansas Speleological Society.
8. The election of KSS officers shall be conducted in accordance with the KSS election guidelines outlined below.
a. The Vice-chairman will appoint and advise a three person nominating committee at the second regularly scheduled KSS meeting of the year. The nominating committee will consist of KSS members not actively seeking office. Members of the nominating committee shall not nominate themselves or other members of the nominating committee.
10. Decisions or actions of the executive committee may be overruled by a 2/3 majority vote of the full members.
IX. Executive committee and general meetings shall be held at such times and places or in the manner desired, allowing for mail-in votes as desired in item VI. 4. a. 1. inclusive, as are determined by the executive committee.
1. A petition signed by 2/3 of the full membership, shall be mandatory upon executive committee to call a special meeting for the purpose stated in the petition.X. The constitution and bylaws of the NSS shall be binding on the KSS. Any action inconsistent therewith shall be null and void. XI. Any NSS property shall revert to the NSS in the event of dissolution.
XII. All KSS property shall be returned to the executive committee in the event of dissolution.1. These items will be sold and may be bought by any member at a fair and reasonable price.
a. The money received shall be held by the KSS.
XIII. All money held by and for the KSS shall be donated to the NSS in the event of dissolution.
XIV. Amendments to this constitution shall be made by majority vote as outlined in item VI. 4. a. inclusive.
1. If an amendment should be proposed during any scheduled business meeting, annual, or as called by the executive committee, only the majority vote of those members present will be necessary for the passage of the amendment.
* = Items are specifically required by the NSS Internal Organization Committee.
This amended KSS constitution was drafted on Aug. 29, 1993, by the KSS Executive Committee and approved at a regularly scheduled KSS meeting on Nov. 6, 1993, by the KSS membership. Published in Kansas Caves No. 7, January 1994, pp. 17-23.
Acrobat Reader is needed to read this document. Right click to save file.
Membership to the K.S.S. is open to anyone who supports cave conservation. Send annual dues of $15 per year to the K.S.S. Treasurer Steve Kite. For more information, email email@example.com