The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 Cave Projects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonjasper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: 2006 Cave Projects Reply with quote

I thought I would share my list of potential cave projects for 2006.

1. Continue cave restoration (mainly graffiti removal) and improving long-term management for Bloomington Cave

2. Explore the caves of Tony Grove (and Logan Canyon)

3. Pursue management agreements with the Utah State Trust Lands

4. Complete the map of Lehman Caves

5. Organize a Lehman Cave Lint Camp

6. Recon of Great Basin National Park deep cave potential

7. Ridgewalk the Red Wall Limestone exposure in Grand Wash Wilderness Area within Parashuant National Monument

8. Rejuvenate the survey of Bloomington Cave

9. Establish local fund raising for cave conservation and management projects

10. Create a collaborative effort to create an educational Caves of Utah film.

Anyone has strong interest in helping in any or all of these projects, please show your strong interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jasonbx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have interest. Don't have time to spearhead anything right now. New jobs are tough like that.

Let me know if you need extra people for anything that is possible in springtime over a weekend or something. At the very least I have lots of experience walking around semi-aimlessly. Looking for caves would at least give me a purpose. Smile

Summer I will plan on doing some stuff up in Tony grove. At the very least I have to finish up the resurvey of Thundershower.
jjackson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be finished with by BS in geology this fall and have been thinking about doing some kind of cave related senior project for awhile now. One of my ideas has been to determining the deep or long cave potential of the house range, but the great basin would be interesting too. Of course I would have to narrow things down a little since this would be a Senior project and not masters thesis. So I am up for any ideas or suggetions.

Jeremy
Deafnss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjackson wrote:
I will be finished with by BS in geology this fall and have been thinking about doing some kind of cave related senior project for awhile now. One of my ideas has been to determining the deep or long cave potential of the house range, but the great basin would be interesting too. Of course I would have to narrow things down a little since this would be a Senior project and not masters thesis. So I am up for any ideas or suggetions.

Jeremy

IMO the best guy to talk to would be Dale Green as he's done a lot of ridgewalking and projects in that area.

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
caverdale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deafnss wrote:
jjackson wrote:

:batsticker:
Jeremy

IMO the best guy to talk to would be Dale Green as he's done a lot of ridgewalking and projects in that area.

In 1985 I started walking northward from Marjum Pass covering every ridge, valley, and slope with binoculars. Most of what I found is published in the Salt Lake Grotto Technical Notes and in the guidebook from our Utah Cave-in in the House Range a few years ago. The potential is still high if you want to dig in immense quantities of rat crap. I recommend high explosives and wait a few days for the dust to settle. I covered the 25 miles from Marjum Pass to the northern tip, with a few exceptions.

Not much was done in the south part, the Notch Peak section. Cursury recons never showed many holes worth walking to for the effort. But, you never know.
clitchford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in a ridge walking mood this year, so I plan on doing a lot of that this year if I am still in Utah this summer. I am not quite sure where I will go, but I will let everyone know once I decide. TG is not the only place with potential in the Logan area, so I might do that.
I do not have cave mapping equipment, but I would like to explore some of the tony grove caves more. These will probably mostly be recreation trips and attempts to get newbies into caving, but if I find anything significant, or stumble upon other caves that have not been documented I will keep everyone posted.
Deafnss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clitchford wrote:
I have been in a ridge walking mood this year, so I plan on doing a lot of that this year if I am still in Utah this summer. I am not quite sure where I will go, but I will let everyone know once I decide. TG is not the only place with potential in the Logan area, so I might do that.
I do not have cave mapping equipment, but I would like to explore some of the tony grove caves more. These will probably mostly be recreation trips and attempts to get newbies into caving, but if I find anything significant, or stumble upon other caves that have not been documented I will keep everyone posted.

If you need some company for these ridge walks, explorations, let me know.

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: