The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grotto Member directory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clitchford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Grotto Member directory Reply with quote

I think that we should consider publishing a utah grotto member directory again. The last directory was published in the March 2004 Utah Caver, and I am sure that many things need to be updated in it. We have many new members and many people have moved. This would make it much easier for people to contact one another. What does everyone think?
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Membership Database Reply with quote

If we can get the grotto secretaries to maintain the membership lists in the membership database on the website, this will take care of itself. It is also completely feasible to allow people to login natively to either the Wasatch or Timpanogos websites rather than having to use the Salt Lake Grotto site.

Very soon, it will also be possible for people to maintain their own information in the membership database. Therefore, when the grotto secretary or I assigns you a bizzare username and password, you would be able to change it to whatever you want. The same would also be true with your e-mail and everything else. The only thing that normal grotto member would not be able to change is their own expiration date.

So talk to your grotto secretary and see they will do it. In previous conversations everyone has generally be favorable to the idea but, so far, I have been the only one to add membership records.
deb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a password be required to access the online directory?
dmccully

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deb wrote:

Yes, you need to login. You can already do this by logging in and clicking on Members on the menu across the top. Essentially, paid grotto members would be able to see current and past grotto members and their e-mail addresses. This is already all built and it already all works. The only thing that is missing is for all membership records to be entered into the database.
deb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
deb wrote:

Yes, you need to login. You can already do this by logging in and clicking on Members on the menu across the top. Essentially, paid grotto members would be able to see current and past grotto members and their e-mail addresses. This is already all built and it already all works. The only thing that is missing is for all membership records to be entered into the database.

sounds efficient, but having contact info listed online should be optional, even if a password is required. Does the registry include g all the grottos, or just salt lake?[/quote]
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deb wrote:
sounds efficient, but having contact info listed online should be optional, even if a password is required. Does the registry include g all the grottos, or just salt lake?

The registry is for all the grottos. If you look at the list right now, all grottos are represented. Right now, the list only shows e-mail address. All other personal info is not shown. If there is general interest. I will add a checkbox for the e-mail address that indicates whether or not it is private.
caverspencer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with all of my information including address and phone number being public, can it all be added as well? Or just email adresses?
www.goodtogreatteam.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmccully

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caverspencer wrote:
I have no problem with all of my information including address and phone number being public, can it all be added as well? Or just email adresses?

Right now, the database and associated utility can store and maintain all of this information. However, no one except the grotto secretary can see any of it except for your name and e-mail. In the future, it would be possible to add public/private checkboxes for each piece of information so each person could decide individually what they wanted to make public. So for now, only your e-mail can be displayed.
jasonbx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasatch grotto has an updated member list. I am planning on putting just the names on the wasatch website next week, along with requested personal info. I have mixed reviews from the grotto members of who wants what personal information listed, so that will take some time to sort out.

I personally think that Duane's database on this site will work well for the general list of people and contact info. Especially as all the grotto members information is added into the list. He is already planning on developing and maintaining it--why duplicate his hard work in several different areas if we don't need to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: