The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blowhole Cave Rig Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deafnss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Blowhole Cave Rig Point Reply with quote

We did a blowhole trip last saturday afternoon. All rules and regs were followed studiously. INCLUDING not parking the vehicle(s) closer than 300 feet from the entrance.
What we had to rig to was a steel straight rod drilled into the bedrock just outside the entrance and do a clove-hitch around the logs.
Well guess what. James H. being the first one out found the rope had slipped off the rod, at some point of our descent. http://photos.mimbach.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album25&id=100_2591

We've been driving a vehicle to within 10 feet of the cave entrance to rig SAFELY to for years. Why this change is beyond me. The rod is NOT a very effective rig point. One with a hook to preven the rope from slipping off would've been better or even better still one with an eye to clip a carabiner into would've worked as well.
If there is concern about leaving tracks that can be seen from a distance then might as well make everyone park at the cross-roads where the sign is at the bottom of the hill and hike up. The road is already visable pre-gate. In-so-far there are no tracks that go to the cave entrance. There hasn't been tracks made from the top of the hill to the entrance since I first visited the cave 15 years ago.

I'd love to understand the reasoning for this... and also would love to know if it's possible for this part of the management plan to be changed to where it's OK to park a vehicle by the entrance for a more SAFER rig point than what's available?

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jonjasper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Blowhole Cave Rigging Rod Reply with quote

No worries. A solution will be made.
I can always count on Ralph to notably point out any possible safety flaw. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deafnss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I appreciate that... but it was Scott McCrea from the NSS discussion board who saw Mike Mimbach's photos that pointed that out. So I can't take credit for it... but I will accredit my own ... unease with it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Anchor with Webbing Reply with quote

I will agree that rigging to a vehicle would have to be safer than rigging to a rod sticking out of the ground. However, having said that, and after reviewing the photo, I must point out that a wrap-3 pull-2 or a girth hitch with webbing would have completely eliminated the possibility of the rigging lifting over the top of the rod.
Deafnss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor with Webbing Reply with quote

dmccully wrote:
I will agree that rigging to a vehicle would have to be safer than rigging to a rod sticking out of the ground. However, having said that, and after reviewing the photo, I must point out that a wrap-3 pull-2 or a girth hitch with webbing would have completely eliminated the possibility of the rigging lifting over the top of the rod.

Ya true, didn't think of that... should've... DOH!

Madratdan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct taping the rope to the rod would have worked in a pinch. Shocked Very Happy

Great pictures Ralph. Cool Thanks for sharing.
Deafnss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madratdan wrote:
Duct taping the rope to the rod would have worked in a pinch. Shocked Very Happy

Great pictures Ralph. Cool Thanks for sharing.

Weren't not my pictures, but Mike Mimbach's, I cannot accredit that which is not my own ... and my own I've yet to post anywhere but shall soon.

TigerStripe40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor with Webbing Reply with quote

dmccully wrote:

I think the rope came undone while I was jugging out, rather than during the descent.

A wrap 3 pull 2 on the 'anchor' point or around the log?

When I was sitting there rigging the log, I was simply going to run a wrap 3 pull 2 on the log, and would have totally forgotten about the 'anchor' rod.

Anyhow, why wasn't the gate built on the surface?

The gate itself would have provided an AWESOME rig point.
dmccully

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anchor with Webbing Reply with quote

TigerStripe40 wrote:
A wrap 3 pull 2 on the 'anchor' point or around the log?

On the 'anchor' point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: