The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting cave maps on the open web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaverStretch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Posting cave maps on the open web Reply with quote

I was on another forum and noticed one of Brandon's caving maps on it. They were using it to tell people about the cave, and of course how to get to it. I was just curious what people think about having the cave maps on the open internet.

Is it bad?

Does it really matter?

Should we limit access to the maps only to "Paid" members?
jonjasper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Is secrecy the answer? Reply with quote

Maps are created to be shared. They are an essential tool to exploring, understanding, and managing caves. Cave maps should never contain any information leading to its precise location.

For organized cavers to be taken seriously, they must be able to improve and share the information on all disciplines of caves. Knowing the unique ascepts of the caves and showing professionalized approach in creation of cave maps, the study of caves, and development for cave management and protection builds relationships with the owning agencies to allow for their long-term protection.

Carefully building public appreciation in the cave resources leads to building public preservation. Some things like cave locations need to be only shared with responsible cavers and caring managers. Cave maps and cave science should be available to simulate interest in cave conservation, science, and management.

JON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deafnss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement with the purposes for maps. Yes, they should be shared. Yet there are those who will abuse such "generosity" and end up making those who are sharing regret doing so. Potential for vandalism and caving/speelunking accidents goes up proportionally to every "non-caver" that finds out about the cave.
I feel that the members of our grottos have the education, ethics, & training to do a lot of the caves featured on the websites maps.
I am not however; so confident about the average Joe Blow who thinks that their extensive rock climbing experience makes them qualified.
Then you got the other type of spelunkers that have this bizarre neeed to paint their names or to proclaim their undying love for their girlfriends with bright day-glo orange/green/pink. whatever!! spray paint in a cave that (before) would've never have.
Sure this may be a chicken little mentality but we've all seen the vandal and the damage done.
So making the maps public domain on the net is a good and bad thing. Normally I don't want to be this pessimistic but just happen to like the caves I visit to be as free of vandalism as possible. Without question so would we all. In-so-far the best way to do that is to simply NOT say anything about the cave.... but that's bad P.R. as we all know.

I think limiting access to the information to paid members of the grotto(s) is a good idea. At least we have a better idea of who they are.

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: