The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Utah caving projects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonbx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Utah caving projects Reply with quote

I have not seen many coordinated projects suggested recently, and most of the ones that have happened the last few years are pretty much kept alive by a few dedicated people. (Tony Grove project, Utah Caver annual publication, Gating and Management of caves, planning for events like regionals, etc...) As with all groups and projects, it takes a few individuals willing to make sacrifices to keep such things going.

My reason for bringing this up----What projects are important to the Utah Cavers? And how do we get them started, and continued. My simplified thought process is that we start by asking what people care about, form a list, rank the items. Then we get a Grotto or subgroup of a Grotto(three-five people, who can potentially rotate each year) to commit to that project and keep it alive until it is no longer deemed important. Replace it with the next most important item, and repeat. We have enough people and varied enough interests to easily support at least a couple projects simultaneously with people who actually do care about their chosen project.

So this thread is step one: Ask the question---What do we care about, want to change, etc? Essentially, what would you like to tell people around the watercooler when they ask what you do with the Grotto? This thread is intended to generate ideas, then we can create other threads to discuss feasibility of those ideas, priority, etc...

To start off, I will create a second thread on cave registers to see what we think about those.

I'm counting on some of the people that have been around several years to have some ideas of where they think we have strayed. And new people should be helping define where we should be headed in the future.

Other brainstorming ideas: (Define them more clearly, fill out the ideas, etc...)

Comprehensive list of Utah caves, info on said caves. (Probably exists in many partial forms already--yes, this would have a lot of internal politics etc--write about it on another thread.)

Exploration--ridge walking, new cave discovery

Conservation--trash removal, graffiti, gating, ......

Training--Vertical, cave rescue, mapping,....

Events---Utah grotto party, Regional event planning

Publications

Media relations---We all hate the misreports of caves/mines, safety, etc

Add to the list! And if you think we will have enough interest in a topic, make a separate thread for it with your initial thoughts.

Duane created this website/forum as a resource, let's put it to work again!
CaveDave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Cave Projects Reply with quote

Why Cave Projects?

for me, that is a reason to go caving. I can only do so much touring before I begin to feel like part of the problem of destroying our caves. Projects are noble reasons to visit a cave. They also provide something for posterity and future cavers. Caves need to be studied, mapped, periodically cleaned, protected, located and explored. Often we don't feel qualified to collect bones or bacteria or sample water. We can however study and learn simple things that can make a difference. For example, I learned to survey. Few like to survey, but that work defines caves and provides information for others more qualified in technical areas. I hung around with Dale Green and Dave Herron and learned all I could about Geology so I can make reasonable reports. Projects can involve large sweeping scopes like the Tony Grove Project which includes geology, biology, anthropology, history, exploration, vertical work, survey, cartography, GPS/map coordination, hydrology and many other areas, or it can be a simple objective such as completing a survey of a section of cave or GPSing entrances in an area. It can be something like following up on a lead and ridge walking the area for caves. Projects can involve only your self or can span to encompass every caver in Utah or other areas. Projects are perfect ways to activate past cavers, to introduce and train new cavers and to keep present cavers feeling involved and excited. I have dozens of projects in the works now. I have many projects I have completed, and I have lots of ideas for future projects if you can't think of one yourself.
It would be my hope that all real cavers would define themselves by starting a project or getting involved with someone Else's project. Leave your name on Utah caving and make our region a better place to cave.

Cave Dave Shurtz
dshurtz6@comcast.net Batty
801-682-0860
deb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: restoration Reply with quote

is there a need for any restoration projects, such as lint removal, graffiti removal, or removal of anything else that isn't needed or wanted in a cave? (no i'm not trying to start a debate on historical graffiti, just seeing if there's a need for cave clean-up)

also on the surveying thing. are there any projects? and is there a register of mapped caves, so those who do go on survey projects aren't repeating work that's already been done?
jasonbx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there has been some work with cleanup in Timp Cave this year, last I heard it is done until next season. There was talk on UTCavers of several people wanting to help with a Nevada cave, Green Eyed Monster?(wasn't one I have visited.)

I know there are several ongoing survey projects. Haven't heard much about Tony Grove lately, there has been some work there. Is Jon still heading this up? There is quite a bit to be done down on the Arizona strip according to Jason Knight.
I know I have had several people ask about learning to survey/helping out, so if people have some projects we may have untapped helpers that just don't know who to approach.

Dave, awesome explanation of why to do projects! If you know you are going out on something that you could use more help on, let us know so we can announce it at the Grotto meetings.(If you aren't going to be there yourself of course.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: