The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Wyoming Rocky Mountain Regional????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> RMR General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonbx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: 2008 Wyoming Rocky Mountain Regional???? Reply with quote

Posting this for those who won't be at next weeks meetings--was sent out by Brandon to the Grotto's.

Hi everyone,

Sorry Iíve been a caving recluse the last year and a half. I should finish up my MFA in the next six months or so and return to the fold. If you could please announce Rick Rhinehartís message at your next grotto meetings, write down the names of any volunteers and what they would be willing to do, and then send that info to me so I can get it to Rick that would be wonderful. It looks like we might have a regional this coming year, with some potential virgin caving! Have a great day,

Brandon

------ Forwarded Message
Subject: 2008 Wyoming Rocky Mountain Regional

Dear Brandon:

As you well are aware, for the last two years, the Rocky Mountain Region has suffered from a lack of an annual regional. In 2006, Mike Frazier and the Mad Rats expanded their annual Mat event on the White River Plateau to an unofficial RMR. This last September, Northern Colorado Grotto put together a last-minute unofficial regional in Wyoming, held at the last Wyoming RMR site not far from Great Ex.

Looking ahead to 2008, I've been talking with Bob Montgomery in Casper about putting together a Wyoming regional over the Fourth of July weekend (this will leave Labor Day weekend open for the various high altitude karst expeditions). Bob reports Hole in the Wall is too tiny to host such an event on their own, so I brought it up at the Colorado Grotto meeting in Denver, and the grotto agreed to be an official co-host. Could you please ask to see if the Utah grottos might be willing to help out, so that we can get the regional going again? (For 2009, John Scheltens has already offered to Doug Medville the use of his Cavern Wells Ranch.)

I've suggested to Bob two possible locations - the Little Mountain/Powell area in the far north, and my preference, the Shirley Mountains, about 90 minutes northwest of Laramie. The Shirleys have one large known cave, Cave Creek Cave, giant sinkholes and insurgences and lots of unchecked Madison Limestone (with a depth potential of 1000-1200 feet). It is largely forested BLM land at about 9,000 feet elevation and has been basically ignored by cavers since the 1970s, when Vedauwoo Grotto in Laramie spent time exploring and mapping Cave Creek Cave. Anyway, I thought Cave Creek and the Shirleys might make an interesting and convenient location for a July 4th regional, since the range is less than three hours from Denver, about 90 minutes from Casper, and probably four hours travel from Salt Lake.

I suggested to Bob that Hole in the Wall could help by finding a site when the snow melts in May, arranging with the Rawlins BLM office for permission to host the event, and arranging for porta-poties to be delivered to the site from Casper. Colorado can help with the dinner and a brief guidebook (since so little is known about the area), as well as site set up and tear-down. With so few cavers having visited the range, most every trip will need to be self-guided so trip leaders won't be a problem. We'll need to find who might handle emergency caver services at the event; I'm sure cavers can be found in the grottos with such training. (One potential problem is the isolation of the location - gasoline is at I-80 to the south, Medicine Bow to the southeast and Casper to the north. We almost need some emergency gas for those who don't plan ahead!)

Would Utah be willing to manage publicity through the RMR web site, and perhaps event registration? A generator for the Saturday night dinner and program will be helpful (in the last Utah event, the evening program was great!). I believe the region has some money put aside from earlier events to handle at least the seed money. CG still has the event signage from the Lime Creek, Colorado regional.

Thanks for your consideration. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Rick Rhinehart
Colorado Grotto
Denver

www.ColoradoCaves.org <http://www.ColoradoCaves.org>

(Brandon has direct contact info for Rick, as well as most of the officers in the Grotto's. Intentionally left it out of this post for now. --BX)
jumar_b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Mountain area would be cool, since I'll already be up there over the 4th of July. Very Happy

There's some great caves up around there, both on Little Mountain, and on the nearby Pryor mountains. Bighorn and Horsethief are of course great (they're both over 7 miles each). Mystery Cave has some good speleothems to look at. There are some ice caves, you're not far from Tres Charros, Tongue River and Great X...caves galore up around there.

But for travel, the other location does sound better.
jumar_b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi...
www.wyomingcaves.com has some info on caves up there. Their forum isn't working at the moment though.
jumar_b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made it up to the regional? I was up there splitting my time with family for our vacation. We were able to hit Bighorn Cavern, Mystery and Little Ice Cave.

Here's some pics:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> RMR General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: