The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rope lengths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjackson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Rope lengths Reply with quote

I have a quetions, If one were to buy lenght of static rope what would be a good length and where is a good place to buy it ?
Very Happy
dmccully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob & Bob is probably the cheapest place to buy PMI. Although lately cavers are willing to try thinner ropes for the deeper caves, for a caver owning a single rope I would still recommend 11mm. As far as the length, 200' seems to be a really useful length. Also, if you get PMI, get Maxi-Wear.
clitchford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with a 100 foot rope and that got me into caves such as pink lime pit and a lot fo the logan caves. this is an ok length if you do not have a lot of money to spend.
If you do not have a tight budget, I would follow Duane's advice and get a 200 foot rope.
jjackson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Cami a duane for the info it was most helpful Very Happy
Deafnss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last rope I bought was 110 feet of BW-II and honestly speaking I paid a bit too much for it. But for what it's worth it'll suit most of the caves I been currently doing. I've still a length of 300 feet of PMI Maxi that I've had for years. Considering on cutting it down to three 100'-ers as I've been doing a lot of training and expect to do more at Pink Lime which really only requires a 100' or less (up to 65') to do the pit (safely).
In the past I've found that 200 feet does suit many caves here even if it's a tad too long for some of the shorter stuff in/around Utah valley (Blowhole and Candlelight being exceptions).
You want to be careful to use as near the depth to length ratio that you can get when dropping any pit. Using a 200' rope for Pink Lime is way over-kill but if that's all you got then "short-rope" it so that the end is only a couple feet laying on the floor of the pit. Too much rope at the end of a short drop and you get that nasty twisty mess that many complain about when using 8's or other twisty proned descenders. Just the right length allows the twists to work themselves out as you go down.

But I agree for my money PMI Maxi is like Iron and is well worth the money. Well and properly taken care of it'll last for years.

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
clitchford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to add, what types of caves are you interested in doing?
If you want to do small recreation caves, 100 feet will be fine. If you want to do harder stuff, such as the deeper pits in Tony Grove or Neff's, you might want a longer length. If you do not know what you want to do, I would buy a shorter rope and try to go on some of the more advanced trips (after you are competent in vertical skills that is) to see what exactly you want to do.
jjackson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimalty I want to be vertically compentant enough to help out in the Tony grove project. for now I just want to do shorter easier caves (<100 ft) to learn the basics and get into shape for the Harder stuff. So a shorter rope probably would be a better idea.
CaverStretch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,
Let me know if you want to go out and do some caving. We usually go every weekend. I've been working on my Frogging skills, so any practice I can get is good practice. And I got a new mini-rack, need to break it in.

Right now I'm in the Tad Pole Junior Class as far as my frog system goes, but hopefully I will evolve into Tad Pole Junior Class with fava beans and a nice chianti. But I'm being eager.

Hope to see you underground,

Robert
jjackson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
I just finished getting all the right gear ( I hope) for my frog system as well. At the RMR I had a frog set up ( thanks to spencer) that basicly worked but it wasnt adjusted quit right for me and I didnt have that right seat harness. I struggled at first in pink lime pit but after a bit I kinda figured it out. so hopefully with the roght seat harnes and a more adjustable system I will not have any problems.
I dont work on saturdays anymore so I should be able to go caving alot more than I use to though I dont think I can go every saturday.

I figure I need to do alot of short newbie drops to get used to vertical and to start getting back in shape. I was trying on my frog system and realized that I really need to reduce the size of my mid section.

So we are both in the tad pole junior class as far as the frog system is concerned and I am in tad pole junior class as far as vertical work goes.
t
So I hope to see everyone underground this year!
see you next weekend rob
caverspencer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woudl say 250' or just 100 maybe 150' I havent seen much in between those lengths, with a 250' you can do blowhole and bottom candlelight. It will also reach just to the bottom of the solpe in Sapnish Moss. Further it will reach teh bototm of the white pit in Little Brush.
With the shorter rope you can do many caves. But I cant think of much you can do with a 200' that you could not do with a 100' Although I am sure a list could be made of several.

If you are just looking for a single rope to get you started I would say just grab a standard length 150'

Spencer... slow down... typing so fast that you're beginning to be finger (tongue) tied... hee hee

Your estimates are right on. Unless one has the ability and skills necessary to do the more deeper caves around (i.e. Monte Carlo, Boomerang, Neilsens, etc. etc.) a 180 to 250 is a good average length.
However I do recommend a simple 100'-er for the shorter stuff, like Pink Lime, Upper, and other short drop caves. Having that much rope is way overkill.
www.goodtogreatteam.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jasonbx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience after a few years of playing with ropes of different lengths: (All 11mm Pit Rope)

100' covers many of the basic drops, and is a small enough bundle you don't mind hauling it for a handline for new cavers, etc.

200' is my most commonly used length. (150' might have fit this, only had a 200 until recently.) Too long in some places, but I'd rather have extra than not enough usually. Still a reasonable weight to haul, and I've used both ends tied off seperately to drop 2 at a time on some very short drops at various caves.

300' has been used, but only when absolutely necessary or very close to a vehicle. 300' or more is enough weight to be noticeable on a hike or uphill. It typically goes in the back of the vehicle "just in case" and I generally avoid hauling it along if at all possible. (May be less noticeable for other folks, I'm not all that large other than height.)

I would probably recommend a 100' and 200' in combination as most useful overall. Many of the places I use a 300' it is because of a long distance to anchors or multiple short drops in succession, and the knot in the middle isn't an issue. Anything that the knot is going to be an issue is probably a cave that I want enough skill to cross a knot safely anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: