The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Utah Indian Reservation Cave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neologic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Utah Indian Reservation Cave Reply with quote

Howdy Folks!

A friend and I are doing some research and need some help.
There is a cave on an Indian reservation that is about 3 miles long.
The unique thing about this particular cave is that it is supposedly 'guarded'.

The one particular thing we were trying to figure out is what reservation this cave existed on, what it's name is and why it is guarded.

So, this particular cave may be a little more 'unknown' as it appears there is no public access.
Perhaps with those few tidbits of info I hoped someone may have some ideas.

Thanks for any help!

Robert
Batty
caverdale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on your supposed cave:

Without doubt the "cave" is said to be guarded because of gold - Spanish, Indian, or Lost Rhodes Gold Mine. The cave would also possibly contain buried remains of Indian Chiefs, etc.

The Indian Reservation most connected with these stories is the Uintah-Ouray Reservation in the Uinta Basin, mostly in Uintah county. This reservation is by far the largest in the state except for the Navajo Reservation in SE Utah. One thing that points to a fraudulent story is that a 3 mile cave would almost certainly have to be in limestone. There is no limestone that I know of on any Utah Indian Reservation, Uintah-Ouray or Navajo. Whoops, there might be limestone on the Goshute Reservation on the Utah Nevada border, but I doubt it is involved with your story.

These stories originate with gold seekers - Spanish gold, old Indian gold mines, Lost Rhodes Gold Mine, Montezuma's gold, etc. One of the most prolific authors (and one with the most fraudulent stories) is Kerry Ross Boren. This Boren guy is quite a character. His grandfather or great-grandfather apparently knew Rhodes personally and fed all his offspring a bunch of stories. Right now, K. R. Boren is serving time in a Utah prison for bludgeoning his wife to death, but that is another story. The book mentioned below was written in prison and published by his new wife, who I understand is a knock-out looker.

Here is something found in one of Boren's more popular books, "The Gold of Carre-Shinob" that may pertain directly to what you seek: This is Chapter 21 - The secret of Carre-Shinob.

"Carre-Shinob is composed of a series of caverns with connecting tunnels. I suspect, from what knowledge I have been able to gain on the subject since, that the entire system was formed anciently as a result of lava tubes, for beneath the Uintah Mountains are a series of active volcanoes. The entire range is being thrust upward at the rate of about an inch a year, but erosion wears it down at an equal rate, and so the elevation remains primarily static. Nevertheless, anyone familiar with the mountains has experienced the occasional rumbling that periodically occurs as the pressure builds beneath the surface.

"The fabulous lode of the Uintah Mountains, which makes it indisputably the richest source of gold in the world (Caleb Rhoades claimed there was gold enough in the Sacred Mine alone to pave the streets of New York City, with enough left over to pay off the national debt!), apparently derives from these chambers and lava tubes having been filled wall-to-wall with molten gold! This then was what the Old Ones-the Aztecs of their predecessors-mined from the caverns. As they mined out each room, they left the walls plated with the molten gold, and in its soft precious surface carved their strange hieroglyphics and made it a sacred temple."

This is all total bull feces. However, as I found out at grotto meeting last night, if you believe in these stories, nothing I can say will dissuade you from changing your mind.
Neologic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a reply! Thank you for your time and detail. I've always had an interest in treasure hunting but didn't know the answer to my question would lead there. I was under the impression the cave had some kind of 'holy' or 'sacred' value. If such a cave had gold or something precious in it, you'd think someone would have gotten to it by now. I mean, if someone is willing to hold up a bank or store of some sort then who wouldn't be interested in taking out a few folks for some 'untold' riches (if they even exist).

I've always been interested using a metal detector to find something like meteorites (which I hear you can sell on eBay) or a geiger counter to find 'hot rocks' - which again, you can sell on eBay but I never really thought much about finding gold as I figured most of what is out there, that is findable, has probably been found. The one particular 'thing' I was told about this cave was that #1, it was 3 miles long and #2, it was guarded. So it would be a cave that isn't publicly accessible. Perhaps it isn't 3 miles long?

If it were not 3 miles long, but guarded, taking that as a possibility, could it be around a mile long in the aforementioned areas you spoke of? I think there was mention that there IS water in this cave too, but that wouldn't be too weird in a cave...

Batty

If there were gold in this cave, why would they (the indians) not move it into a bank or something as opposed to leaving it in a cave where it could potentially walk off?? I'm sorry I don't know much about the 'treasure hunting' side of cave spelunking - I do have interests in geology and minerals. Finding some quartz/gold mix would be great but I don't hold high hopes in caves where folks have already trekked. Just doesn't seem realistic.

Thanks again for the info. Anything else, I will appreciate!
caverdale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neologic wrote:
That is quite a reply! Thank you for your time and detail. I've always had an interest in treasure hunting but didn't know the answer to my question would lead there. I was under the impression the cave had some kind of 'holy' or 'sacred' value. If such a cave had gold or something precious in it, you'd think someone would have gotten to it by now. I mean, if someone is willing to hold up a bank or store of some sort then who wouldn't be interested in taking out a few folks for some 'untold' riches (if they even exist).

The non-existent Carre-Shinob is supposed to be very holy or sacred. I didn't quote the entire chapter. The reason someone hasn't got to the gold is because the whole thing, story, cave, and gold simply never existed except in the mind of a deranged author.

Quote:
I've always been interested using a metal detector to find something like meteorites (which I hear you can sell on eBay) or a geiger counter to find 'hot rocks' - which again, you can sell on eBay but I never really thought much about finding gold as I figured most of what is out there, that is findable, has probably been found. The one particular 'thing' I was told about this cave was that #1, it was 3 miles long and #2, it was guarded. So it would be a cave that isn't publicly accessible. Perhaps it isn't 3 miles long?

The first thing you will realize when surveying with a metal detector or Geiger counter is how truly immense the earth is. Surveying just one acre will be exhausting and take the better part of a day. You have to choose your area very, very carefully and know what you are looking for. An old nail gives the same response as a meteorite. As I said, a 3-mile-long cave is exceedingly unlikely in the type of rocks that exist on the reservation. Also, Native Americans aren't so stupid that they would have a guard on something like that 24/7. It would be bulldozed shut or something similar. Use some common sense.

Quote:
If it were not 3 miles long, but guarded, taking that as a possibility, could it be around a mile long in the aforementioned areas you spoke of? I think there was mention that there IS water in this cave too, but that wouldn't be too weird in a cave...

A 50 foot cave would be a long cave in these rocks. Water would not be unusual in a cave or mine adit.

Quote:
If there were gold in this cave, why would they (the indians) not move it into a bank or something as opposed to leaving it in a cave where it could potentially walk off?? I'm sorry I don't know much about the 'treasure hunting' side of cave spelunking - I do have interests in geology and minerals. Finding some quartz/gold mix would be great but I don't hold high hopes in caves where folks have already trekked. Just doesn't seem realistic.

You aren't going to find quartz/gold in a natural cave. You need to take a course in Geology 101. There is no 'treasure hunting' side of caving (we don't call it spelunking). The reason the Indians haven't moved the gold to a bank is because it never existed. Again, use some common sense. The stories are all bogus! You are wasting a lot of time researching such things. But, as I said before, if you really believe in such things, nothing I can say will dissuade you from the search.
GoHot229

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you are speaking of Logan Cave up Logan Canyon? it is about a mile or so long, with water and has a locked gate to protect bats? is this maybe it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: