Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Location: West Valley City, Utah
|Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm Post subject: Rocky Mountain Regional 2012 - Franklin Basin
September 7-9, 2012
We will be camping 23 miles up Logan Canyon on the Franklin Basin road. A vault toilet is provided but there is no water, so bring your own. We are also far enough from the nearest town that you will want to be self-sufficient for the weekend. There will be plenty of camping space for all size vehicles. Four-wheel drive is not necessary unless you want to explore back roads; may be needed to get to some of the caves. Day-time temps will probably be in the 70s and night-time temps are likely to be in the 40s. There will be no fee to camp.
- Friday. Sept 7 (all day). Set up camp. Caving on your own. Possible led trips
- Friday. Sept 7 (evening). Set up camp. Discuss cave trip options for Saturday and sign up for led trips.
- Saturday, Sept 8 (day). Caving all day, including led and self-guided trips. The caves are both dry and wet and horizontal or vertical. Cave temperatures are in the high 30s and 40s. Hiking at high altitude required for some caves. Minnetonka commercial tour cave trip. Presentation on history of cave diving at Ricks Spring (pending).
- Saturday, Sept 8 (evening). Dinner 6:00 pm. – A main course will be provided. Pot luck contributions are encouraged. Drinks, chips, salads, desserts, etc. Following the meal, there will be two presentations: the first by Dave Liddell and Kirsten Bahr with Utah State University on the geology of the Tony Grove area, followed by Kevin Labrum with the U.S. Forest Service on the history and bat biology of Logan Cave.
- Sunday, Sept 9. Caving all day, including led and self-guided trips. Possible hydrogeology field trip if enough interest.
- Additional Recreational Activities in the area include Bear Lake, Logan Canyon Nature Center, Ephraims Grave, Tony Grove and White Pine Lakes, and a number of hiking trails.
Download Registration Form