The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rope Length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backcountry6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Rope Length Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Christmas is coming soon and I have authorization from the wife to purchase a new caving rope. I'm trying to decide on the perfect rope. I have a 50m but it just doesn't seem to be long enough. It would be nice to have some serious length, but I'll also need to carry it to places like Nielsons. I'm thinking a nice fat 11m 100m (~328ft).
I'd like to hear what all of you are using and what you think would be ideal.

Many Thanks,

-Aaron
dmccully

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 11mm 350' rope last year. It turned out to be just long enough.
jasonbx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to the UTcavers list on yahoo, I know this was discussed for a while about 1-2 years ago. If I have some free time later I will see if I can consolidate the details here.

Sounds like we need some people to chime in that do the deep caves--I know 200' and 300' would cover most of Utah pretty well. But there are always a few that leave you wanting a rope stretcher... Very Happy

Hunt around for deals--I have seen several websites list a couple cents a foot lower if you buy a scrap from one of their cut 1200' spools. I bought my rope that way--my "scrap" was about 600' long before I cut it into the lengths I wanted. Saved me about $20, even after shipping cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: