The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matching up geologic maps with GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonbx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Matching up geologic maps with GPS? Reply with quote

When ridgewalking, it would be nice to have a roughly defined border to look in. It seems like a geologic map of the appropriate limestone layers should be able to export to a GPS file somehow. (I haven't used GIS software much, but assume this is possible to do.) Does anyone know how to accomplish this, or who to talk to? Primarily interested in Utah and adjoining states in my case obviously.

Now that I have upgraded to a newer GPS that I can upload/download files from, this seems useful to follow up on.
dmccully

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Jasper is probably a good resource. You will probably need to e-mail him directly since I doubt he monitors this forum anymore.
jasonbx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several discussions via email, I have several people that think it can be done. Limiting factor sounds like getting the correct GIS files and converting it to a system that is useful. And then determining if it is really all that useful in the field.

Feedback from one person is that in rough terrain the printed paper maps are easier to use, since finding your location is easy when you have a lot of things to triangulate off of.

Project is now pending enough free time to be played with.
dmccully

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if you have visible landmarks, a paper map is easier to use. My GPS with nice topo maps has fallen short many times in the field.

If, at any time, it becomes apparent how we could leverage the capabilties of the Utah Cave Survey, I would be interested in coding it up. That is if it appears that there are a set of people who would really use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: