The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice Cave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caverdale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Ice Cave Reply with quote

Rob -

I just read your trip report on Oak City & Tabernacle Hill. The Flowell Ice Cave is hard to find without a guide. It is also not worth going to. The farmers used to store their produce in there. To make it better they used dynamite. You can guess what happened. Anyway, it is no longer really a cave and I don't think ice forms there any more. But, I may be wrong.

The rappeling hole next to the road may be the hole in the ceiling of the room in Keystone Kave. There is a walk in entrance about 40 feet to the east. I forget which side of the road the hole in on.

Dale
dmccully

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rappelling hole has no outlet. It is about a half-mile (2249 feet) north of what I believe to be Keystone Kave. I'll have to sit down with you with TOPO to make sure we know what we're looking at. Agreed that Keystone does have a skylight in it that you could theoretically rappel. Everything out there tends to look the same.
CaverStretch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
I was mostly curious about where it was and what the entrance looked like since it was in the lava formation to the north. I wasn't sure if we would find it or not. I think we may have been in the wrong area. That whole area looks the same.

Thanks for your help with my questions. I like that area, lots of interesting lava formations and tubes..etc. Hopefully I will be able to spend a weekend or two this summer checking out some of the other tubes in the area.

Now, here's the real question. What about the laval field just to the north of Delta? Have you had a chance to exlpore that area? If you want, you can send me a private message. Duane and I were talking about it on our last trip. We were just curious.

Robert
caverdale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaverStretch wrote:
Dale,
Now, here's the real question. What about the lava field just to the north of Delta? Have you had a chance to exlpore that area? If you want, you can send me a private message. Duane and I were talking about it on our last trip. We were just curious.

Robert

There is a big lava field north of Delta that is skirted on the south by the Brush-Wellman paved road. Also there is an extensive lava field southwest of Delta that you can see from the road going to Lehman Caves. Both of these were deposited quite some time before Lake Bonneville and if you walk around on them you see that everything is filled with lake sediments. That doesn't mean that there may not be lava tubes, however. I have asked around but have never found anyone who knew of any. Again, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Personally, I gave up looking after several trips and not even a hint of a tube.

There is another lava field west of Fillmore and north of what is called The Cinders where they mine the lava. It was deposited before Lake Bonneville also, but has a few small tubes. One of them is called Hellhole (no relation to the pit of the same name in the mountains to the east) and is shown on the topo map. Two others are small. One is Cabbage Cave, used by farmers to store cabbages, and the other is call Cauliflower Cave, which I named because of the calcareous tufa in the ceiling that looks like cauliflower. As I said, they are both small, less than 50 feet, but interesting. The BLM guy showed me three air holes in that field that I briefly surveyed with my magnetometer with discouraging results. On the way to Cabbage Cave are some really neat Indian petroglyphs that shouldn't be missed.

By the way, The Cinders lava field, north of Tabernacle Hill is the most recent lava flow in Utah. I forget the exact dates but it is less than 500 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: