The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Snowfalls and caving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deafnss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: New Snowfalls and caving Reply with quote

Batty I read in today's SL Trib. that there was a reported 20 inches of snow total (thus far) at Tony Grove Lake with more to come. Since it's this "late" in the year it means probably a longer wait for the Main Drain expedition to renew their activites in this awesome cave. The same probably holds true for all of the other caves in the surrounding area.
So with this in mind one wonders about other caves that could use some projects on; i.e. continuing graffiti removal at Oak City (and a survey... maybe?), aforementioned gate repairs, and so forth.
What do ya'll think?

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmccully

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there are other worthy projects around that could use attention. However, Tony Grove receiving 20" of additional snow in the middle of January is a pretty routine occurrence. Pretty much whichever way one defines the start and end of winter, we are no more than halfway through it. At this point, I don't believe that anything has happened that would indicate that Tony Grove will melt out any later than normal.

Having said that, it is probably true that fitness levels and varying interests would probably support a variety of non-Tony Grove activites this summer.
clitchford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow is a bit problematic. For example, I had the idea to go to the stansbury mountains to search for caves. Me and a good friend of mine went there last saturday and decided that the snow that was there (this is before the 2 recent storms) would make it twice as difficult. I have decided to wait until spring or summer--- that is if I am not working out of state.
jonjasper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Tony Grove Weather Reply with quote

Tony Grove last year supposively recieved 4 ft of snow in one dump. The normal opening for Tony Grove in the distance past I was told was around end of June or early July.

Within the years since the Tony Grove project has started folks have ventured up there as early as mid-May and only as late as early June. This year is not probably going to a lite to average year. So the project will be able to start as normal.

For those who are really interested check out this site!
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/getobext.php?wfo=pih&sid=TGLU1&num=48
It is a real-time feed from a weather station near Tony Grove Lake.
The snow levels are questionable, but it gives you an idea of the present conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonjasper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Tony Grove Snow Levels Reply with quote

According to the weather station, Tony Grove Lake has a bit less than 10 ft of snow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
caverdale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, the total snowfall during winter is the major factor determining when any area will be available, including Tony Grove. However, it has been my experience that the springtime thaw temperatures have got to be the next major factor. I have seen years when there was average snow fall but Tony Grove road wasn't open until July 4, and there were still major snow banks along the road because of a very cold spring. The road had to be plowed. We have been in a 6 year drought which may just be ending. (And I heard one forecaster say that we may actually be in the middle of a 15 year drought.) Added onto that is global warming, which is making for early spring thaws. In otherwords, it is impossible to tell what will happen until it happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: