The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whiterocks Cave Lottery System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caverdale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Whiterocks Cave Lottery System Reply with quote

As you may know, a new lottery system is in place for guided tours through Whiterocks Cave. Applilcations must be received in time for the drawing held April 15. For more information visit:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/recreation/whiterocks-cave-tour.shtml

I didn't know they had a web page like that.
jonjasper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Just for FS tours? Reply with quote

This application process is just for Forest Service lead tours?
A different permit can be obtained for self-guided grotto trips?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
caverdale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just for FS tours? Reply with quote

jonjasper wrote:
This application process is just for Forest Service lead tours?
A different permit can be obtained for self-guided grotto trips?

Good question. At the completion of the gate on Whiterocks, I obtained the lock and installed it. Since I was the main contact and person who organized Grotto labor for the project, the FS biologist said that I could keep a key. The proviso was that the grottos could use it if I first contacted one of two people in the Vernal office and that we did not visit the cave on a Saturday during the summer. These two contact people were not connected with the normal channels that "tourists" used to get a guided tour.

This information was publicized to the grottos and posted on several web sites including the Timp Grotto. Grotto members who wanted to visit the cave were to call me, I would call and clear the visit, then give the key to the leader. This worked mostly, but then people started calling the Forest Service directly for the key instead of contacting me first and got some people in the FS office really upset. These people had no idea of the arrangement.

So, I stopped the arrangement and contacted web site managers to have the wording changed in the "Locked Caves" section. If people can't follow simple instructions they can make their own arrangements. Now that Dave Herron is geologist on the district I'm sure that access can be gained from him. After he leaves I don't know what will happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: