The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Topo Programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaverStretch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Topo Programs Reply with quote

I want to use my laptop to start a database while out searching for caves. I have the topo program from iGage called All Topo. It has all the topo maps for the state of Utah. It's ok. I can link my GPS unit to it and download all my waypoints, etc. However.

I am wondering what other people have been using. What is the best program out there? What topo program has the best link with the GPS unit? What program has the best features- 3D, etc.

Robert
caveguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Maptech Terrain Navigator to be one of the best - it uses USGS maps, and can display them seamlessly from one to another. It also does 3d fairly well. Data for the state of Colorado came on 10 CD-ROMS, for a total of 12 including the program! Most topo programs only have 1 or 2 CD's. I've used OziExplorer, Delorme Topo, and a couple others but prefer the Maptech software.

I don't know of any that do "database" type operations though. You could simply use an Excel spreadsheet, or Microsoft Access if you really want a "real" database. Perhaps the programs listed above do that, but that's not something I've needed from them - my "database" sits in my GPS, and on my computer in the form of waypoints.

Rick
clitchford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Map Source (the one that works with garmins)
It is an ok program, but it is lacking some detail. It is comparable to the USGS 1:1,000 scale maps.
I hear that National Geographic has good topo maps, but I am not sure how compatible they are to GPS systems.
observeram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Delorme 2.0 3D. You can create a data base in excel and download that data base into Delorme. The 3D is awesome and I can connect my Garmin 60CS to my laptop and it will pick my truck on the screen as I drive. A nice way to find your way around on those back roads. I've also used Topo Quad and found it is o.k. I also use Garmins Mapsource but found it lacks detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: