The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mines and tourism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerStripe40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Mines and tourism. Reply with quote

Please discuss:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441114
caverdale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Shuman, who heads up the outfit doing the complaining about mine closures, is a card-carrying, anti-conservationist, anti-government rabble rouser that contributes to several web sites, including a few of his own. While he has some good points, he also goes overboard on some of his comments on old abandoned mine safety.

For instance, I just read in today's paper where the Abandoned Mines Reclamation people are going to close several uranium mines along the Green River. These mines are perfectly safe to walk into and explore, as far as the physical aspects go. However, while they were being mined they were strongly ventilated. After sitting idle for several decades, the odorless, invisible radioactive gases inside have reached critical levels for human health. Most of these mines have no warning signs. They should be sealed shut.

There are mines that are safe, and perhaps should be kept open, but who is to make that determination and accept the liability? If Shuman is actually conducting public tours to old mines I hope he has a lot of insurance.

An old mine explorer myself,

Dale
clitchford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in a few mines myself and to tell you the truth, I don't like them... they're scary. The main reason for this, is I am not educated well enough on how to tell if a mine is safe or not. I know that you don't want to go into a mine that has a lot of debris on the floor, and it is not safe to go into a mine where the ceiling is being held up by some 100+ year old beam, and in general, mines are not very geologically stable because they have not settled naturally (they are too recent to stabalize), but I am sure that there are other signs to look at when going into a mine as well.
does anyone know a few more things to look for when going into mines? I know that going into any mine is risky, but how do you tell a safe one from a questionable one?
CaverStretch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine Safety.

Well, the first thing you want to look for when you go into a mine are dead people. Once you've determined there are no dead people, you should look for caves. Smile

I have been mine exploring longer than I've been caving, and some of the most dangerous mines I've ever been in have been caves in mines that are visited on a regular basis by cavers who don't go mine exlporing. Example. Indian Springs. If I happened to be checking this mine out for fun, I really don't think I would venture in. The entrance and mine are too unstable. And another example is Green Eyed Monster. I think this is one of the most dangerous mines I've been in. Not only is the entrance caving in all around you, but the mine itself is in bad shape.

However. There are mines out there that are just as safe if not safer than caves.

Here is a list of things that I look for before entering a mine, and during the mine exploring adventure:

1. Is there a sign outside that is posted "Private Property"? Always look, you don't want to get a $300.00 ticket and have a record.

2. What kind of area are you in? What is the Geology of the area? Are there lots of mines in the area is this a one-hit-wonder mine?

3. Is the mine breathing? If so, how much are flow is there? If the mine is not breathing, why? Maybe the mine is too small or there is not another entrance somewhere. If there is no air movement, be very careful entering. One the major problems with mines is carbon dioxide buildup. CO2 is heavier than air. When you enter a mine the CO2 will be floating on the floor of the mine. You don't notice it going in. But when you turn around to go back out, you've kicked up all the CO2 into the air and in turn created a major if not fatal hazard.

4. Is the mine timbered? If there is allot of timbering this means the ground is unstable. The timbers are likely old and should not be trusted. If the mine is not timbered, it's likely that you are in a hard rock mine with stable ribs and backing (sides and top).

5. When you enter the mine, you want to look at the floor. Is there any breakdown on the floor? If so, how much and how big? This will be a great indicator of the stabiltiy of the mine. If it's in good shape, you will see little or no breakdown on the floor.

6. Pits. I would stay far away from any pits inside the mine. At one time this was probably an access way to another level, or an ore body. However, after it is no longer usable the miners will use it as a dump. You don't know what's down there. So stay out. And the air can be bad.

7. Dynamite. There are so many different types, some that are more stable than others. I would stay far away from any area of the mine that has dynamite or blasting cord or caps. You don't know how old it is or how stable it is. And I don't think you'll want to find out the hard way.

8. Relics. I always leave what I find in the mine. If I find an old dynamite box, or something like that I leave it where I found it so I can return later and admire it underground.

9. Ladders. Don't trust any ladders, metal or wood. They can be rotted out, rusted, or just not attatched any more and you don't find this out till it's too late.

10. Never explore alone. Mines are dangerous. Just like caves you don't want to enter mine without 3 people. And always where a helmet. Mines can be low and it's easy to hit your head. Just be smart.

And last but not least....NEVER GO IN A MINE!!!!!! They are dangerous.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Robert
clitchford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thanks for the advice

BTW, I have been in the mine that connects to Green eyed monster cave (we had the land owner's permission of course). I think that is one of the mines that got me rally paranoid about mines. I was especially paranoid when I saw the cave entrance. There were two rotted planks of wood holding up the mine right above it.... scary. The mine entrance was also really scary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Caving General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: