The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wasatch Website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Wasatch Grotto
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonbx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Wasatch Website Reply with quote

The wasatch grotto didn't have any threads yet, so I thought I would post one and see if anyone besides Deb has discovered this yet.

I have started putting pages together for the wasatch website.(Started once already. One computer crash and brand new computer later I am starting again.)

I am looking for pictures from wasatch grotto members. I know what mine look like, and they have their own website already. We want to see everyone else's!
jonjasper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Website creation Reply with quote

Jason,

If you need help, I have easy ways to creating decent websites. My favorite is using MS Word and just saving as .html and posting via FTP software such as WSFTP. If you have problems finding how to start your design use one of Word's web templates. MS Publisher is another easy web producers that young folks of the computing generation should be able to figure out quickly.

JON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jasonbx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. I actually have access to Dreamweaver, which I like fairly well for putting pages together. What I don't have is free time, which is probably the most important resource. Smile
jasonbx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finally took 20 minutes and figured out how to access the site and everything. I think I know what happened to the wasatch site! It looks like there are at least three different versions of the site that were all sitting on the server at once. I will have to look through everything to see what is worth saving. For now I put up my small effort and will continue this project after getting some feedback at the grotto meeting.

Jason
caverdale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is related, but I had a call from a woman last summer who wasn't affiliated with grottos in any way. She wanted to get the Whiterocks Cave key from me so she could take her kids up there! Upon questioning, she said that by using Google a Wasatch web site was found that listed me as the key holder. She admitted to not reading some of the fine print. Anyway, it appears that Google has either archived some very old versions of the Wasatch site or can still access all of the versions you are talking about. If this is the case, it would be very appropriate to delete some of them. I attempted to use Google this morning to see if I could find the site, but couldn't. However, I don't know what the lady typed in for her search.
dmccully

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Obsolete Version of the Wasatch Grotto Website Reply with quote

There is an older version of the Wasatch Grotto website at http://users.aol.com/caverbol/wasatch.htm. It also comes up at http://hometown.aol.com/caverbol/wasatch.htm. These versions appear to be more thoroughly indexed on google the current site. If you get whoever is maintaining these old pages to delete it, google should remove it from the index within two or three weeks.
caverdale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Obsolete Version of the Wasatch Grotto Website Reply with quote

dmccully wrote:
There is an older version of the Wasatch Grotto website at http://users.aol.com/caverbol/wasatch.htm. It also comes up at http://hometown.aol.com/caverbol/wasatch.htm. These versions appear to be more thoroughly indexed on google the current site. If you get whoever is maintaining these old pages to delete it, google should remove it from the index within two or three weeks.

That's it, Duane! Thanks. The site says to call me for the key to Whiterocks Cave and gives my phone number, which is not currently listed in the Dex phone directory. It also says not to call the Forest Service for the key. No wonder the lady was confused. Someone please delete this.
jasonbx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and find out who set those other websites up at the next meeting. In the meantime, the new site finally has a little content on it. (Not necessarily any better than the other sites, just newer.)

I finally take my licensing tests the end of this week and next week, so things should change a little faster in the next month.

Mike gets credit for being the only person to send me any pictures at all. I will try and get them displayed better soon. Everyone else may duck their heads in shame.... ;-)
caverdale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason - I suspect that you will find the other websites were set up by Steve Hicken, who died about a year ago. This may present a problem.
jasonbx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. That is a rumor that I have heard mentioned before--I will confirm it, and see what we can do from there. I won't have time to seriously persue it for two or three more weeks. But I am certain I can work out something.
deb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasatch Website Reply with quote

Does anyone know who controls this web site? it has us listed as meeting on the third monday of each month ...

geology.utah.gov/online/pdf/pi-42.pdf
caverdale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasatch Website Reply with quote

deb wrote:
Does anyone know who controls this web site? it has us listed as meeting on the third monday of each month ...

geology.utah.gov/online/pdf/pi-42.pdf

Deb -

That is a repoduction of a small double-sided fact sheet that is handed out at the Natural Resouces Map and Bookstore on West North Temple Street. I visit there periodically and will see what can be done. All of the references to meetings there are hopelessly out of date. (Don't try to call Rod Horrocks at the number listed!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Wasatch Grotto All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: