The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 RMR Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> RMR General Discussion and Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deafnss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: 2006 RMR Location Reply with quote

The 2005 meeting of the RMR determined that Wyoming is next to host this popular event. Question is where will they hold it?
I've overheard that the location be in Logan but it still remains to be seen.

If anything, Logan should definitely be the next place the next time Utah is host anyway. There's far too much unseen up there and the (out-of-state) folks that attended the 2005 regional were very pleased at the change of scenery. It's just too bad that the sudden spike in gas prices had reduced the number that would've made it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Ralph

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jonjasper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Tony Grove Event Reply with quote

Ralph,

The original agreement was to have this year's regional in Utah Valley and then have the next in Tony Grove after a successful local gathering. They are many interested in the idea: Brandon Kowallis, Peter Hartley, Larry Spangler. Definately the folks needed to make it happen. I would converse with them about a smaller event that may ultimately lead to an event with a larger interest.

The one main problem with Tony Grove for a regional is the standing date of Labor Day weekend. I believe the event should not be on this weekend.

The conflict between a large interest Tony Grove venue verus a small Montana Regional may lead to your desired result.

Start it up & get it done!
JON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
caverdale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a reply to a post by Ralph Powers on the Colorado Cavers forum concerning our discussion of the 2006 Rocky Mountain Regional at the recent Utah Grottos meeting:

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:37 am
I strongly oppose a regional in Utah since the regional was held in the state in 2005. Although I attended the event, very few cavers from outside Utah participated, perhaps owing to the increased cost of gasoline, or the long drive from other states. I believe the total number of cavers from outside Utah who attended was less than 20 people, and that was to an interesting area with a large number of caves.

Tony Grove is filled exclusively with deep alpine vertical caves which appeal to smaller number of cavers and so I suspect a 2006 Utah regional would attract less cavers this year than last - probably less than 10 people from outside the state. Although I admire the work that has been accomplished in the area, I have no interest in visiting.

There is an active grotto in Wyoming, the Hole in the Wall Grotto in Casper. Usually, the club needs assistance to host regionals in the state. In past years, cavers from Colorado and Utah assisted in hosting the event. I recommend that cavers contact Bob Montgomery in Casper and offer their assistance in managing an event in Wyoming.
Deafnss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... just when I thought I cured myself of that foot-in-mouth disease.
Sorry guys.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
caverdale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deafnss wrote:
Dang... just when I thought I cured myself of that foot-in-mouth disease.
Sorry guys.

I'm not clear on why you feel that way Ralph. It is probably Rhinehart who isn't correct. I gave Brandon the names of three people in Wyoming to contact: Carol Uhl, Laramie, Armpit Grotto; Bob Montgomery, Casper, Hole-in-the-Wall Grotto; and Al Hinman, Lyman, Wyoming Caver at-large. Brandon replied that he sent the message to all of them. At the meeting I sat next to Brandon and he indicated that he received a reply from all of them, although he didn't mention names. That should include Bob Montgomery. Based on this I would have to say that you are correct and there is no active grotto in Wyoming to host a regional. Having 5 NSS members to register as a grotto in the NSS does not an active grotto make. But, we need to hear the specifics from Brandon.
Deafnss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well it'd be nice to get Bradon to get on this forum and even nicer if we can get him to actively participate... but unfortunately like many others... life, gets in the way.

Hopefully he'll make an appearance at the Grotto meeting(s) to let us all know what's up.

Madratdan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word back on where or if Utah is going to host this years regional? Our grotto meeting is coming up and we had a few inquiries last month about what was going on with this years regional. Summer vacation plans and all.
caverdale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madratdan wrote:
Any word back on where or if Utah is going to host this years regional? Our grotto meeting is coming up and we had a few inquiries last month about what was going on with this years regional. Summer vacation plans and all.

Dan -

The Utah Grottos meeting is now scheduled for June 22. It was supposed to be earlier but that didn't happen. I am sure that the 2006 RMR Regional will be discussed then and someone will let you folks know.
Madratdan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in another thread, that Utah will not be hosting a regional this year on Labor day weekend. I'll pass the info along at our next grotto meeting.

The Madrats will be hosting their annual party on Labor Day weekend. Everyone is invited to come join us in Colorado. We will be meeting at Bison Lake, North of Glenwood Springs (Flat tops area). The best way to get there is to get off I-70 at Dotsero and travel North to the Deep Creek road. Follow that (long and windy) road to Bison Lake, and look for our signs along the road to direct you to camp.

We usually have a limited number of guide books for sale, really cool T-shirts for cheap, and a keg of beer to wet your whistle, after a long day of ridge walking and caving.

If you are musically gifted, bring your instrument and join in the fun around the campfire. Mike has some great cave ballods to share. We usually have a raffle with some cool caving gear to help fund the beer. A group of us are bringing dirt bikes, so throw in yours, if you own one.

So, come one, come all, to the Rat Splat. You will be in one of Colorado's premere caving areas, at the Madrats premere annual party.........and you'll be a member of the Madrats when you leave. What more could you ask for?? Very Happy Hope to see ya'll there!! Batty
Madratdan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update from Mike Frazier. The guide books and T-shirt design are coming along nicely. Hope to see some of you Utah cavers join us for another great party with lots of caving going on. I'm planning to bring a small raft for anyone who wants to fish or tool around on the lake.

About the freegional or as we like to call it the rage-n-all
It looks like we may have food at the party after all!!
Don and Kristi Mease have graciously volenteered to do a burrito meal
for Saturday night. We don't have all the details worked out yet.
We will either pay for it by makeing it a part of our anual raffle deal or they will charge by the plate.

Speaking of the raffle..... Bring your donated raffle items
It is how we pay for the keg of beer, sodas, food, ect.
Any xtra proceeds will go toward next years beer.

caveguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a message Mike sent out regarding the campsite location - Rick

========================

Here's the Bison Lake campsite marked as the red cross on the
map at the link below. It's roughly two hundred yards on Forest
Road 640. The road is good for almost all vehicles up to this point...
This location has several advantages...

1. On karst
2. Large area
3. Accessible by almost any vehicle
4. Multiple campsites in close proximity
5. Great view
6. Anyone can find it

link to map:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4404383&e=298272&datum=nad83
Madratdan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's coming up to the Madrat party at Bison Lake? We are trying to get a head count, so post back if your coming. (I've had one conformation by PM, so far.)

The guide book this year has over 150 caves listed in it. This one is a keeper with lots of first time released maps, like Premonition and Lusunder. The only way to get one is to show up. They are printed on purple paper and extra copies are burned at the end of the party. Only one allowed per person. Really, they are that good and we don't want them redistributed.

We have the coolest, 7 color T-shirts being printed up also. New helmet stickers will be available in reflective gold with black lettering and rat. The Meeses.....who we love to pieces..........will be serving a burrito meal on Saturday night for $5.00 a plate. A free keg of Rattire beer will also be on hand. Don't forget about the raffle, for a dollar a ticket. We have some really cool stuff to give away this year. (rope, ect)

To find us, get on the road headed for Groaning and follow the rat signs. We will be at the end of the road. When you see our banner, you know you found us. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> RMR General Discussion and Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: