The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index The Utah Caving Forum
A forum for the Utah Grottos

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SLG Web Site Activity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Salt Lake Grotto
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmccully

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: SLG Web Site Activity Reply with quote

The Salt Lake Grotto web site continues to see good daily activity. In November we saw more than 1300 hits. This figure includes robot activity and multiple hits by the same visitor. In December, I changed the way statistics are collected to exclude robots and only count unique visits. By this standard we receive an average of twelve visits a day. I have configured the counter to exclude hits from me whether I am at work or at home.

Although it does not help grotto membership or meeting attendance, international hits are of interest. We have had hits from Sweden (4), Canada (4), Japan (3), United Kingdom (3), Australia (2), Israel (1), Spain (1), and Puerto Rico (1). Nearly all of these hits are from people searching for cave equipment.

The google and msn bots process the site about every three days. They actually reindex the site about once every two weeks. On these search engines, the site comes up on the first page for nearly all of the obvious Utah caving search strings. As far as I can tell, all of the other robots are useless. For example, the last time I checked, Yahoo still did not have the site indexed despite the fact the the Yahoobot has processed the page multiple times.

The site uses a sophisticated, php based counter to gather the above information. In addition to the above, the counter also tracks referring site and, if the referring site was a search engine, the keywords that were used in the search. It also tracks browser, operating system, and host.

The bottom line is that anyone in the Salt Lake valley who is trying to find out more about Utah caving using the internet should be able to find our web site with no problems.
dmccully

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: NSS Web Site Award Reply with quote

The Salt Lake Grotto website has been selected for the NSS website award for the fourth quarter 2005.
dmccully

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: International Activity Reply with quote

In the last four days the website has seen hits from Hong Kong, Iceland, UK, Brazil, Hungary, and Canada. That's probably the most international activity we've seen in that short of a timeframe. The hit from Hong Kong was from the dmoz.org open directory project. Hopefully, that means the site will be added to the directory.
jonjasper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Timpanogos Grotto hits Reply with quote

The Timpanogos Grotto website in is close to 4 year existence has had an average of 8 hits per day.

The Salt Lake Grotto has the advantage of live content that has general interest to all cavers.

In my opinion, the main concept is to get the word out of our existence and highlight our mission, achievements, and capabilities. I have had many agencies (FS, BLM, State) note has impressed our efforts have been.

Your site, believe or not, is changing caving in Utah. It is returning the focus of Utah Caving back to the Salt Lake Grotto - which by population is where it should be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Photo upload is now implemented Reply with quote

It is now possible to upload photos with your trip reports. When you initially enter the trip report, you will see no option for this. However, after the trip report is entered, you can go back to edit it and you will see a button at the bottom titled "Add New Trip Detail." Only .jpg files can be uploaded and they must be less than 100K. If it turns out that it would be useful to support other file types, I'll look at implementing that when the need arises. Right now, there is no restriction on how many files can be uploaded per trip report. If this turns out to be a problem, I'll add a limit at that time.

I know that on virtually all the trips that I've been on the last few months, many pictures have been taken. Here is your chance to let everyone see them! Enjoy.
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: January 2006 Statistics Reply with quote

In January 2006, the web site saw 616 unique visits for an average of 20 (rounded) unique hits per day. By "unique" I mean that if a visitor comes to the site and pulls up 10 different pages, this counts as only one hit. These statistics do not include robot activity.

Since October 19, 2005, the web site has seen a total of 4797 hits of which 1906 were unique.
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Grotto Members Can Now Update Their Own Records Reply with quote

Grotto members are now able to update their own membership records in the database. When you pull up the membership list, you wll see that your name is a hyperlink. You can also change your login and password to something more suitable then what I assigned to you. Please make your password "strong" and keep it secure.

If you encounter problems please notify me via e-mail.
jamesdcawley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Webpage Reply with quote

Duane,

I would just like to say, from the viewpoint of a graphic designer and caver, your website is great! I have checked it and refered many to it, I really like your CG logo, a great addition to caving art. I am definatly not a "website" guy but I have based alot of my goals for the NUCA and BRG website and egroup off of the SLC website...Just a thanks..

-James Cawley
jamesdcawley@hotmail.com
dmccully

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Webpage Reply with quote

jamesdcawley wrote:
I would just like to say, from the viewpoint of a graphic designer and caver, your website is great! I have checked it and refered many to it, I really like your CG logo, a great addition to caving art. I am definatly not a "website" guy but I have based alot of my goals for the NUCA and BRG website and egroup off of the SLC website...Just a thanks..

Thanks. I appreciate it.
dmccully

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Website Status Reply with quote

To date, I have written 12,000+ lines of php for this website. This counts only code I've written and not the various open-source packages that are utilized on the site. No code generation tools have ever been used here.

Things that I recently finished:
1. All current Salt Lake Grotto members have been entered into the membership database.
2. For new membership records, the login and password are generated automatically and an e-mail with this info is sent to the grotto member.
3. Grotto members now have the ability to update their own information.
4. Caving projects management infrastructure is complete.

Things that I am currently developing:
1. Membership records need to be able to be assigned to more than one grotto (50% complete).
2. Allow grotto officers, specifically the secretary, to send an e-mail notice to all grotto members.
3. Library system for both the grotto library and the tech notes.

For those who are interested in more severe forms of geekery, the website now has a Google PageRank of 4.
dmccully

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Activity Burst Caused by Gaming Forum Reply with quote

Yesterday we had a rather interesting event. A person from New Zealand put a reference to the Salt Lake Grotto maps page on a discussion forum related to Dungeons & Dragons. He is interested in using cave maps as templates for D&D maps. HIs post can be viewed at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=174665. This caused the largest burst of traffic (104 unique visits) we have ever seen on the SLG site for a single day. A large percentage of this traffic was international which breaks out as follows:

3 - Australia
1 - Hong Kong
1 - Singapore
6 - UK
3 - Germany
1 - Norway
1 - New Zealand
1 - South Africa
1 - Turkey
2 - Netherlands
1 - Croatia
5 - Canada
1 - Brazil
1 - Austria
1 - Portugal
1 - Mexico
1 - Sweden

Do we like having our maps distributed world wide for incorporation into games? I guess that would depend on the map copyright holder. It seems doubtful that this manner of usage will impact the caves at all.
dmccully

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Image File Upload Fix Reply with quote

I have finally found the solution to a limitation we have had on uploading images. Now you can upload images of any size. The system will automatically reduce the size of the image in successive iterations starting from 750px on the smallest edge and reducing the size by 150px per iteration until the image is less than 100K. Previous to now if I tried to resize an image to anything greater than 230px, php would crash. Although this behavior is really a bug in php, the workaround is to dynamically allocate enough memory before attempting the resize.

The bottom line is now you should be able to take images directly off of your camera and load them to the website.
dmccully

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Membership Database Reply with quote

The membership database now fully supports a person belonging to multiple grottos.
dmccully

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: NSS Grottos of the Western United States Reply with quote

There is a new link on the Salt Lake Grotto website under Related Sites named Western U.S. Grottos. This page displays all grottos in the western U.S. that have web sites. This information is dynamically assembled using a process known as screen-scraping. It basically queries the NSS web site and parses their web output to build the page. The nice thing about this is that the whole thing is completely self-maintaining.
dmccully

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Salt Lake Grotto Library Reply with quote

It is now possible to view the contents of the Salt Lake Grotto library on-line. If you login and you are a member of the Salt lake Grotto, you are able to request books and see what you have checked out. There is also a page that only the librarian can see that allows him to see what has been requested and everything that is checked out and to whom.

There are still several somewhat more obscure items that I have not added to the library database yet. I will take care of that shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Utah Caving Forum Forum Index -> Salt Lake Grotto All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: