The NSS Nature Preserves
The NSS began over seventy years ago as a collective of individuals interested in caves and caving. From the beginning, we recognized the need to protect the fragile and timeless environment, both above and underground. Conservation has always been a prime tenet of the NSS's foundations.
The NSS owns fourteen preserves and manages one preserve owned by the Felburn Foundation. Each preserve is cared for by a local Management Committee. These committees report to the NSS Board of Governors, through the NSS Nature Preserves Committee, under the department of the Administrative Vice-President (currently, Geary Schindel). Gary Moss chairs the NSS Nature Preserves Committee. Gary M can be reached at (703) 573-1068 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each management committee has overall responsibility for the upkeep, security, and general well-being of the property. As with most NSS functions, the Preserves rely on local cavers to provide the required labor.
- McFail's Cave Nature Preserve (NY)
- Shelta Cave Nature Preserve (AL)
- John Guilday Caves Nature Preserve (WV)
- Kingston Saltpeter Cave Nature Preserve (GA)
- James Gage Karst Preserve (NY)
- Warren Cave Nature Preserve (FL)
- Donald R. Russell Nature Preserve (OK)
- Schoharie Caverns Nature Preserve (NY)
- Mill Creek Sink Nature Preserve (FL) aka Alachua Sinks
- Tytoona Cave Nature Preserve (PA)
- Wells Cave Nature Preserve (KY)
- Great Expectations Cave Nature Preserve (WY)
- Richard Blenz Nature Preserve (IN)
- New River Cave Nature Preserve (VA) (*** New ***)
- William J. Stephenson Nature Preserve (AL) (*** New ***)
Please Note! For preservation reasons, we respectfully request that no GeoCaches be placed on the NSS Nature Preserves. NSS Policy prohibits such activity in the caves or on the properties.
Other information pertinent to the use and protection of the NSS Nature Preserves can be found in the following Acts of the NSS Board of Governors.
- Policy For Cave Conservation
- Exploring Caves By Scout And Explorer Groups
- Guidelines for Research on NSS Property
Another good source of information about Youth Groups is available in the following brochure, Youth Group Caving. This document was prepared by the Youth Groups Liaison Committee of The National Speleological Society.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions about the NSS Preserves pages,
please E-mail Gary Bush at email@example.com