- The name of this organization shall be the Northwest Caving Association (NCA) of the National Speleological Society.
- The Purpose of the NCA shall be to promote conservation, safety and communication among cavers in the northwestern United States and western Canada, and any other purpose not inconsistent with the policies of the National Speleological Society.
- The NCA is a non-profit organization. No part of the net earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers or other private persons, except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distribution in furtherance of the purposes set forth in the article giving definition of purpose herein.
No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation and the organization shall not participate in or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on by
- a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (or the corresponding provision of any future U.S. Internal Revenue law) or
- a corporation contributions to which are deductible under Section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, etc.
(Note: Tax revision of 1976 defines the amount of "lobbying" permissible for a 501(c)(3) organization as no more than 20% of the first $500,000 annual budget.)
- The sole governing authority of the NCA shall be vested in an Executive Board, including but not limited to the authority to elect officers and adopt bylaws.
- In the event of dissolution of the NCA, all assets shall revert to the National Speleological Society, Cave Avenue, Huntsville, Al 35810.
- Regular membership is open to NSS internal organizations and non-affiliated NSS members in the northwestern United States and western Canada who subscribe to the Constitution and Bylaws. Associate membership is open to co-operating organizations within the same area who subscribe to the Constitution and Bylaws.
- Meetings shall be held at least once annually at a location chosen by the Executive Board.
- This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Executive Board and a two-thirds vote of the member organizations.