Welcome to the CNJG!!
The Central New Jersey Grotto (CNJG) is a non-profit organization founded in 1978 for the purpose of advancing the study, conservation, exploration, and knowledge of caves. We are a local chapter of the National Speleological Society (NSS).
The primary activity of our members is to explore wild caves in New Jersey and the surrounding states. Members also perform many outreach services to our neighbors, including conservation and education projects. We hold regular monthly meetings that help us plan new trips and projects and discuss new techniques.
If you're interested in caving with the CNJG, we urge you join us at one of our monthly meetings. They are held at various members' homes in the area. To get information on the next grotto meeting, check out the Monthly Meeting Notice (link takes you to Dropbox). Here you will find a schedule of upcoming events and special announcements.
If you're new to caving, you should read our Beginner's Guide to Caving. This will help you to prepare for your first caving trip so that you can cave in a manner that protects your own safety as well as the cave environment.
If you're trying to find a good general resource for caves and caving, check out the website for the National Speleological Society (www.caves.org).
If you would like to become a member of the CNJG, here is the Membership Application.
Benefits of membership include the following items:
- Access to our email discussion group -- CNJG_Digest@googlegroups.com -- our main tool for early trip planning and other communication;
- Participation in grotto trips -- while we welcome prospective members on our trips, we do expect you to join the grotto after a couple of outings;
- Access to the Central Jersey Caver -- our periodic publication containing trip reports and other articles written by our members (click here for an example from February 2005);
- Access to some limited equipment for grotto trips -- we maintain a number of helmets and lamps along with some other limited equipment for grotto outings (a tarp and a couple of cable ladders).
Please note that although doing so is not required for associate grotto membership, we strongly encourage our members also to join the NSS. Doing so confers full (regular) membership in the grotto, including voting rights and the opportunity to run for one of the top grotto offices (if CNJG is one's declared primary grotto in the NSS).
Other Resources and Links
Check out some past photos that we have on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/cnjg-pix/sets.
Want to learn more details about the CNJG? Here is our Charter.
We're very proud of Paul Steward, a CNJG member who has become a successful author. Check out his latest book here: Paul's Latest Book.
Here are some things that we prepared with very basic info about caves and caving:
- Basic information about caves and caving that we prepared for a table top display;
- Nearby commercial caves to take the family;
- Reading suggestions, mostly aimed toward kids;
- Recommended equipment for when beginners join us caving.
Some other caving related links you may want to check out while you're here: