Print Salon Submissions
NSS Print Salon
ENTRIES: Photographers may enter up to ten (10) prints for a fee of US$20, this includes any series/story lines. Each print must include a digital file of the image (for NSS News publication of awards). All entries must be physically delivered. There is no fee for print(s) donated to the NSS. Payment can be made via PayPal or credit card through the form below, or by check or money order sent to the Salon Chair. Make payable to the NSS.
- DIGITAL PRINT FILE Submission deadline is March 15, 2024. Send to Print Salon Chair (contact information below).
- PHYSICAL PRINT may be sent to the Print Salon chair along with the Digital Print file or in-person delivery to Print Salon Chair at the Convention Salons venue on the Saturday before the convention week between 10:00-16:00 or on the Sunday before the convention week between 10:00-15:00. If a physical print is not mailed to the Salon chair or delivered to the convention, it cannot win an award.
- Return of PHYSICAL PRINT - IN PERSON ONLY AT CONVENTION.
ENTRY FORM: Click link for the Entry Form. Fill out the form on your computer (preferred) or print it and fill out the information by hand. The form may be sent via email or by regular mail to the Print Salon Chair.
ENTRY CRITERIA: All prints must be mounted, but not framed. They may be matted. Print size: There is limited space, please keep prints under 24 x 30” (including matting). Phone or Email the Print Salon Chair if you have questions (contact information below).
PHOTOGRAPH LABEL INFORMATION:
- Print Title: If no title, please label as Image 1, Image 2, etc…
- Photographer Experience: Novice, Advanced, or Expert (see definitions in Photographer Categories below).
- Entry Category: REAL, UNREAL (definitions in Print Categories below).
- Additional Information: Information related to the print (i.e. formation is 2 inches tall, room is 1 acre in size, etc.) to assist judges as they evaluate technical or other merits of the print; model/assistant Names, statement or information that conveys context or sets a mood for the photo or events surrounding the photo. Please do not include cave name or location.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WITH SUBMITTAL FORM
- PICK UP INFORMATION: Who will pick up print(s) (individual(s)/grotto affiliation) at the end of Convention. PLEASE NOTE: If print is not picked up by Noon on Friday it will be donated to the NSS.
- Digital image file of Photographer (for potential use at awards and for NSS News).
- Digital file of images submitted (for potential use at awards and for NSS News).
- Brief statement about Photographer (name, grotto affiliation, caving experience, etc.).
ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA: Prints not accepted for show will be noted at time of submission. Photographers will be informed of the precise reasons if a print is not accepted. Prints that will NOT be accepted for show include those:
- Prints not related to caves or caving. For example: a print of a formation in a mine might be considered related to caves from a mineralogical aspect, whereas a print of a person standing in a mine, wearing caving gear, may be considered irrelevant to actual caving activities.
- Prints depicting nudity that is deemed to be pornographic, or unnecessary to telling a “story.”
- Prints depicting unsafe or unacceptable caving practices (too close to formation, lack of proper gear, etc.). Cultural/historical context will be taken into consideration, but only if noted at time of judging. Some of the above types of prints MAY be considered acceptable if they are part of a print story series where the overall story is one of positive/appropriate cave behavior/interactions.
DISPLAY ONLY: Prints may be submitted for display-only: (please include display label information as described above, adding note: Display Only). Prints submitted for display-only are accepted and displayed ONLY if space is available.
- NOVICE: first time entrant to NSS print salon. This category is to encourage photographers to submit prints to the salon. Some judging criteria may be more loosely applied.
- ADVANCED: Photographers who have had prints selected for show in previous NSS print salon but have not been awarded a ribbon or medal. If you have been accepted for show or ribboned at other NSS-associated events you may enter in this category, regardless of first-timer status.
- EXPERT: If you are a professional photographer or have sold cave images for publication in any media, you are an Expert. Photographers who have received ribbons and/or a medal in a previous NSS print salon are also considered Expert.
- Limited manipulation, a caver should be able to see what the photo depicts if they go to the correct cave and stand in the correct location.
- AI-assisted or otherwise manipulated. The originating photo should be of a cave.
JUDGING: Judging occurs prior to convention. In addition to the standard Accepted, Honorable Mention, Merit Award, and “Best of Show” designations, a "Cavers' Choice Award" is awarded. Criteria used by judges may be shown by clicking Criteria button. Judges may award a “Best of Show” in each print category.
SALES AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For questions concerning entries or sales of prints, please contact the Print Salon Chair (information below) prior to March 15, 2024.
RIGHTS AND CONDITIONS:
All photographers retain copyright and all moral and intellectual rights to their work. Credit and copyright notice will be included with all images displayed or published in any media. Digital copyright information will not be removed from any image. The NSS requests the following rights, which are optional. Indicate your agreement with any or all by marking the box(es) on the entry form.
The NSS may project these images during the award ceremony.
The NSS may publish winning images in periodicals for the purpose of showcasing contest winners, within one year of the contest.
The NSS may publish winning images in periodicals for the purposes of promoting future congresses and competitions, for not more than four years.
The NSS may use these images in low resolution on Web sites to announce the winners of this competition, for not more than four years. These images will not exceed 600 pixels in width or height.